Tia Maria For Mexican....Still around ?

Thanx Samak. but do you relilze telling the taxi meter or the TFG 'ok, pai sai, pai kwaa, trung pai whe they don't know where the f__k they're going. wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by samak:

tia maria is on soi 23; from soi cowboy (i guess you know where that is) you go ahead, turn first right (after le dalat indochine and the recently into italian turned florentino), then you go ahead, pass narcissus and pegasus on the right (i do not mention the excellent thai restaurant that you just passed), then turn left and about 200 metres, just before you reach the next intersection it is on the left side...

you can also come from sukhumvit soi 31: go into the soi until you reach the first intersection, turn left, you see the famous (only for thais, farangs do not know it) Aise, you turn right and the first left again and pass silom village and you go ahead and turn left and just on the right side is tia maria.

hope you can find it!?!?!?

Samak, I grew up in the US Southwest, New Mexico and California. Part of the time, I was even a minority -- and my Irish blood boiled at being called an Anglo! (We were about 20 miles or so above the Mexican border. The most commonly heard language was sort of Spinglish.)

Basically, all that you named are Mexican dishes (northern Mexico anyway). But different regions may use the same word for different things. e.g. In Texas-New Mexico, tostadas are cut up and crisply fried corn tortillas. You'd dunk them into hot sauce or eat them with chile con queso as a snack. (Sort of the forerunner of nachos.) Imagine my surprise at ordering them in So. California and getting a whole corn tortilla with a salad on top of it! I love Mexican food. It's one of my favourites, probably ranking (1) Thai, (2) Indian, (3) Mexican. Unfortunately both Mexican and Indian food can be very fattening. :-(

I think fajitas were invented by Taco Bell. I know that I had never heard of them until I went back to the States in the late '80s. They are a nice meal though. I've wondered why Taco Bell doesn't set up in Thailand. The Thais I know who've had Taco Bell style Mexican food in the States all say they like it.

p.s. There are some nice Mexican desserts that Taco Bell hasn't picked up, e.g. empanadas and sopaipillas. Wonder why not.

Archived