Tia Maria For Mexican....Still around ?

Sorry, don't know about the answer to your question. However, should you be answered in the negative and need an alternative....

Visited the Mexican Buffet at Bourbon Street (Sukumvit soi 22) on Tuesday night. Though the choice wasn't amazing, the food was very good.

Service charge (for sloppy service), VAT and eating almost in the dark weren't appreciated as much though. At basic 210 baht for the food though it didn't end up too costly.

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: SUPPOSE ]

quote:

Originally posted by LiTuP:

Anyone know if the Tia Maria is still around. Used to be great Mexican food. I think it is close to the Pegasus if I remember correctly.

Sorry to report Tia Maria closed up shop some time ago. You are correct. IMO it was the best Mexican restaurant in Bangkok. Great prices, large portions, friendly, cute staff, and the Thai lady who owned the place was a doll.

It was the best kept secret in BKK, and unfortunately that led to its demise. Tucked away on Soi 23 most folks never heard about the place. Most nights I was there, only a few customers were dining. Too bad the place couldn't make it as I never had a bad meal there.

Now, I like El Fiesta on Silom Rd./Patpong 1 although it is pricier than Tia Maria and I can do without the band/combo playing there.

• 2 months later...

Nachos and fajitas are not Mexican. They are American -- and unknown south of the border.

Best ever Mexican restaurant in Bangkok was Rios, which stood behind the Indra Hotel once upon a time. The owner was a Tex-Mex who worked in the Middle East. (He'd been born in the US, but brought up in Mexico.) The food was as good as anything you'll find in the US Southwest. Rios's wife ran the place when he wasn't around. Evidently, the marriage broke up though, since he wasn't to be seen anymore. After that, the restaurant gave up the ghost.

I think it pretty much goes without saying that whenever a non-Mexican refers to Mexican food, he is talking about Tex-Mex. Most non-Mexicans wouldn't even recognize the food they serve in Mexico City.

tia maria is on soi 23; from soi cowboy (i guess you know where that is) you go ahead, turn first right (after le dalat indochine and the recently into italian turned florentino), then you go ahead, pass narcissus and pegasus on the right (i do not mention the excellent thai restaurant that you just passed), then turn left and about 200 metres, just before you reach the next intersection it is on the left side...

you can also come from sukhumvit soi 31: go into the soi until you reach the first intersection, turn left, you see the famous (only for thais, farangs do not know it) Aise, you turn right and the first left again and pass silom village and you go ahead and turn left and just on the right side is tia maria.

hope you can find it!?!?!?

quote:

Originally posted by Flashermac:

Nachos and fajitas are not Mexican. They are American -- and unknown south of the border.

Best ever Mexican restaurant in Bangkok was Rios, which stood behind the Indra Hotel once upon a time. The owner was a Tex-Mex who worked in the Middle East. (He'd been born in the US, but brought up in Mexico.) The food was as good as anything you'll find in the US Southwest. Rios's wife ran the place when he wasn't around. Evidently, the marriage broke up though, since he wasn't to be seen anymore. After that, the restaurant gave up the ghost.

you seem to be an expert of mexican food; i can't remember, as my last visit ro mexico was about 10 years ago; what about tacos, enchilladas, burritos, tamales, novales, pitayas? are they really mexican or as weel western inventions as nachos and fajitas?

Archived