The aftermath of Karr

BadaBing

I will last a day or 2 in the USA mind , most never left the USA , most never will,

Thailand , Taiwan or Trinadad is all the same thing , a place far away with funny language , weird money and what you see on a travel show on TV,

a few days from now another big story will hit, and it will be the news....

OC

Very true. But some of it will register in some minds somewhere that Thailand is a good place to get laid, find girlfriends, diddle kids etc. :)

OC

Very true. But some of it will register in some minds somewhere that Thailand is a good place to get laid, find girlfriends, diddle kids etc. :)

IMO...it all boils down to $$$

The media sells their dribble and make $$$

The Thais get their tourists = $$$$

The USA poloiticians stand up and say the words the Americans want to hear, then they get re-elected = $$$

...and on and on it goes, with nothing really getting done!

"...Some fear pedophiles now seek kids in other ways - by easily becoming teachers in Thai schools."

While pedophilia is a subject of concern in (I would venture to say) every modern community on earth, it amazes me how much interest the media captures with stories like this. What is going on? Is it just that the media are exploiting interest in sex? Are people really fascinated with pedophilia? The disproportionate amount of attention this story has received is worrying. Not worry about the stories themselves, but the audience whom they perceive as being hungry for more of this kind of tripe.

Also worried about the larger effects of this kind of coverage. More restrictions on travelers, both into Thailand and returning to their home countries; more stringent qualifications of foreign workers inside LOS. Maybe they don't really need foreign talent (one of the major differences between countries like the U.S. And the U.K. Is that they have thrived on the fruits of immigrant entrepreneurs and labor, and countries like Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia (to name only a few), which tend to wait until they can do it themselves, with rarely even the same order of magnitude of success.

"...Some fear pedophiles now seek kids in other ways - by easily becoming teachers in Thai schools."

While pedophilia is a subject of concern in (I would venture to say) every modern community on earth, it amazes me how much interest the media captures with stories like this. What is going on? Is it just that the media are exploiting interest in sex? Are people really fascinated with pedophilia? The disproportionate amount of attention this story has received is worrying. Not worry about the stories themselves, but the audience whom they perceive as being hungry for more of this kind of tripe.

I wonder about that too. It seems to fascinate a lot of people. Maybe we've got bored with ordinary crime and need new taboos to break? What's really worrying is that it could get like gratuitous violence. The more we see of it the more acceptable it becomes.

I would hate to be an english teacher looking for work right now ,

or have a resume with a few years of English teaching in Thailand ,

Most people only believe what they see on TV (2 minute report) or the newspaper (only read the first few paragraphs) so they do not see that Karr was a nut before he was a teacher :(

OC

Archived