Crocodile Hunter Killed today

Torneyboy

This is weird.

It is only a month ago that I heard that he should have passed away. He had supposedly been attacked by a croc.

I tried to search for information on the web and learnt that for some reason news of his death were regularly posted on the web. He had died from being bitten by a snake, a scorpion, attacked by a croc, shark... the list was quite long.

Given the fact that these were all hoaxes, I am somewhat sceptical about this recent story.

Link

"Steve Irwin

Two or three times a year I receive some variation of the following:

My wife and I have been hearing disturbing rumors for over 6 months that Steve Irwin, 'The Crocodile Hunter,' was killed in some horrible accident. We checked some Internet bulletin boards and we noticed that this rumor has been circulating since 1997 (or before!). However, we can find no official rebuttal. Is the Croc Hunter alive or dead?

Irwin has had to deny this rumor for years. On his Discovery.com Website he writes: "I've never been bitten by a venomous snake, and I recently heard that I'd been killed. Ha ha! I've been killed by crocodiles, venomous snakes, spiders. I've even had a beetle crawl in my ear and kill me once. Nah! I'm here to tell you Steve Irwin lives!"

Cheers

hua nguu

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently just a freak accident. Only the second recorded death by stingray in Australia's history. They interviewed a expert from sydney aquarium who was stung in the foot once. He said the pain was unbelivable. It took four shots of morphine and six hours he said before the pain started to subside. Given the fact he was stung in a vital organ chances were he died instantly.

Seems we have 2 threads running on this sad death. There's another thread in the non-Thailand News forum as well. Here's something I posted about these stingray stings earlier in that thread for those who might be interested.

--------------

A bit of info on the stingray and it's poisonous barb.

-------------------

Never underestimate the penetrating ability of a stingrayâ??s barb, even on the smallest of stingrays. The stingrayâ??s barb is designed to penetrate virtually all sorts of dense materials, including wood and leather. And as unbelievable as it may seem, itâ??s been documented that large stingrays are able to drive a barb through a boatâ??s wooden planks or completely through a persons arm or leg.

According to Dr. Shipp, when a stingray strikes, it either removes its barb entirely, or breaks it off inside of the victim. When this occurs, doctors must probe the wound to make sure all particles have been removed, so the injury will not result in gangrene. In cases where the barb deeply penetrated, the wound must be enlarged to make sure it is properly cleaned.

Aside from the pain and serious laceration caused by the razor-sharp barb, which can sever arteries and possibly an Achilles tendon, a poison is released that can produce a drastic decrease in blood pressure, increased pulse, dizziness and possible shock.

5,000 stingray attacks are reported in the United States alone each year

------------------------

taken from www.jerrylabella.com/stingray.html

My father in law was stung by a stingray whilst fishing on the beach and a friend was stung by a stigray in shallow water during a dive.

As your article mentions Cent, the pain is excrutiating and there is definately a venom in the barb.

Apparently the only safe way to approac s ray is from the back, so it can't deploy it's barb.

On a side note, this ain't gonna be good for the dive industry, all potential new divers are now gonna ask if there are stingrays around, it'll take the pressure off the sharks for a while.

Almost wish he was eaten by a croc or stampeded by elephants or such.

Archived