Recipe for som tam please?

Sincere thanks to Handyman and OldHippie for the recipe (wai-ing)!

Plaa = fish (i like fish, fish and chips etc, so it's one of the first few Thai words i learnt and remembered).

Num plaa = fish sauce (don't taste/smell like the raw fish from the market - it's a saltish Thai-ish taste../ tough to describe) This mixed with the sugar water, produces the distinct som tam taste.

Grated peanuts = ya - perhaps the killer ingredient in som tam. Yummy!

Very very healthy food. Consider nothing is really fried /deep fried - no visible fatty oil, it's filled with fresh vege, peanuts(protein), fish sauce (omega nutrient)!!

Happy as a clam! smile.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by bibblies:

Dan - you've been here a long time, haven't you? Don't you get used to acclimatised to chilli? I have to keep putting more and more in just to get the same effect.

Ok, my response was a bit harsh but I really cannot eat chilli anymore and I've never been a really big fan of it at all. I think you have to be born into it to really eat it like a local. Before my Thailand experience I'd had Sri-Lankan g/f for many years. She was a great cook and although she used to cook a seperate not-so-hot-dish for me everything was still fairly hot. I think for many years I used to try and convince myself that I liked it.. But I stopped liking it and stopped liking her at about the same time. ..I made a clean start in Thailand with a no chilli rule.

Really though, I guess you do become acclimatised to it. There could be no other reason for the fact that my ex g/f used to eat about 5 raw chillis inbetween mouthfulls of her already ultra-hot curries. I believe the stuff actually becomes an addiction. She used to feel physically sick if she didn't have enough chilli. She was an exception though. Her family used to worry about her chilli addiction when she was young. Also, I don't know what age they start feeding hot food to their children here, but in Sri Lanka they start giving it in mild amounts at about 5 years old. It's actually used as a natural way to cool down your body-temperature in hot tropical climates. The idea is that you eat, you sweat and then cool down...something like that.

Funny story though, my ex would claim undisputedly that she could eat any hot and spicy food that anyone put in front of her. I didn't doubt it but one day I introduced her to hot English mustard, the real hot stuff too. This stuff is different, it's different kind of 'hot' to chillis. It's not in your mouth, it's more of a nasal hot. Anyway, she willingly obliged to sample a small spoonful of it, and then just as willingly bolted across the room for a couple of glasses of water.

Dan,

put it this perspective.

Some people can't drink beer (like me). Taste horrible to me!. (ya, i know i'd be stoned by at least 90% of the members here!)

So it's like the proverb "one man's food is another man's poison."

By the way everyone - have you tried durian?

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Hey singbond,

Nice to know there's another soul out there who thinks the taste of beer is aweful !!

I just can't handle the taste of it and do I cop heaps from my aussie mates about it.

Very "aussie style" uncomplimentary !!!

Don't have any problem eating durian though.

Just stick a peg on my nose whilst consumming !!

Cheers Hall

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: hall ]

quote:

Nice recipe Dundee, It is the one Thai food i just cant get into, I would call it fermented fish myself or ''rotten fish'' to be even more precise, LOL

Racha,

I have been told that the period of 8 months is actually to ensure that there is not any worms left, which may arise from this process.

quote:

Originally posted by singbond:

By the way everyone - have you tried durian?

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

No, don't like stink fruit. I have tried it. I'm fairly open and have tried most things edible once. But really, it wasn't as they say. The stuff tastes as bad as it smells!

So let us get this into perspective Singbond.. Your a bloke that doesn't drink beer, eats somtam everyday and likes durian. C'mon now, what kind of a bloke are ya? Next you'll be telling us that you like nymphomaniac sex-mad lesbians!! laugh.gif" border="0

Doesn't drink beer. Had a can at my friend's place during a 1999 party. Left it in the fridge. They made a whole great joke saying "his beer has been there since last century!".

Somtam - wish i could eat it daily. Could I employ an Issan girl to cook it for me daily? smile.gif" border="0 Yum. Maybe should patent it before some US person patents it. ya?

Durian - nice taste and texture and smell. Too bad can't take it too much. Normally I'd buy and put it in the fridge - chill it - then eat it. It's like chilled beer - compared to hot beer.

laugh.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

Hi Hall,

Great mate. At least I won't feel ackward too. smile.gif" border="0

Like to drink some of the Thai "Red Wine Cooler - called SPY". Red small bottle. Try it when you're there. Taste like some fun cocktail or sparkling juice. wink.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

G'day singbond,

Boy did you bring back some memories mentioning "SPY" . My TGF for my last trip in April was mad on the stuff. Couldn't get enough and was very uninhibited after even a couple !!! Yeah I like it too !!

Cheers Hall.

PS. I'll remember there are now two of us next time my mates start winding me up !!

Archived