Recipe for som tam please?

quote:

Originally posted by Dundee:

Racha,

I have been told that the period of 8 months is actually to ensure that there is not any worms left, which may arise from this process.

That is right. Internal worms or flukes are fairly common among the population in rural Esarn especially aroung the Nong Han lake in the province of Sakhon Nakon. The thai government has been trying to disencourage the locals from eating raw fish and snails that are often infested thus resulting in what the thais call "Look Payaat". Parasitic infestation.

Bill boards in Isarn reading "khon Isarn mai kin plaa dip" meaning: Isarn People don`t Eat Raw Fish" used to be common.

The thais call snails hosting the parasite "Hoi Khran" "the snail that makes you wanna scratch yourself" as you experience an itching sensation when the flukes penetrate your skin. I learnt that the hard way a couple of years back in Sakon when I was standing in knee deep water fishing. No-one thought of warning the stupid farang against getting into the water as this was common knowledge. frown.gif" border="0

Poorly prepared Plaa Rah, Plaa Dip or Plaa Daek (which is all one and the same thing) can also expose you to danger of infection, but then again so can poorly prepared pickled herring.

Hua Nguu soon turning into Tao Hua Nguu

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived