Pattaya Beach water

potica69

How safe is it to swim in the Gulf of Thailand by the beaches in Pattaya? Is the water clean or fairly polluted?

The last time I was there I took a long 1-2 mile walk from South Pattaya up toward the north and then back again.

Honestly, I cannot recall seeing many (if any) tourists in the water. There certainly were plenty of them lounging around on the beach. Every now and then I would see a few Thai kids playing in the water, but that's about it.

Was my observation an indication that it isn't too safe to go into the water?

Please advise.

Thanks

potica69

Pattaya beach has never been popular, most from BKK and Pattaya go to Jomtien beach especially on saturdays and sundays. Naklua beach is also much better than Pattaya beach but less popular than Jomtien beach. One part of Jomtien beach is dominated by the gay/lesbian/katoey community - I've been there many times and enjoyed. :cool:

I've seen loads of people in the water at Pattaya. Where do these surveys come from?

One of the worst bits was the little beach down the end of Soi Wongamart. Stank. Must be either a sewage outfall there or perhaps that's where prevailing tides wash things.

Another place was in Jomtien. Come into Jomtien on the main road to the beach. Walk right by where the motorbikes are parked up and there's a huge outfall there. Now unless they're pumping beer into the gulf I'm pretty certain it's poo.

The water at Jomtien is not much different that Pattaya.. it just appears a bit cleaner. I have a friend who works for a State Parks and Rec engineer in the USA and when he saw the water results from both Pattaya and Jomtien he said that in Oregon they would close the State Beach as a health hazard...

Then again Soi 6 in Pattaya is a health hazard but many people take a dip there as well...

Archived