Embassy registration

FreeTime

Just wondering how many long stay expats bother to register at their respective embassy? I can understand how useful it might be if there is a domestic emergency back home, an environmental disaster here in Thailand, or extreme political turmoil. On the other hand, many residents might prefer to maintain a certain independence from additional/unnecessary contact with government representatives. Any pros/cons that come to mind apart from those noted above?

When I was living / working in Taiwan I registered, as I was project manager so I was responsible for the personnel that can to site.

I was also a contact person and would notify others in the case of an emergency.

If you will be over a few months in a foreign country, it is a good idea to register.

exileexpat brings up a good point about official declaration as a 'non-resident'. At this point in time I have not gone that far, or even checked into this as I anticipate leaving Canada only for about 5-6 months each winter. Regarding pensions, I start collecting next year at age 55. I don't believe travel status has any bearing on that. I know that declaring onself as a 'non-resident' can have significant implications tax wise, but I seem to recall that one has to demonstrate that most connections to Canada have been severed to be delared a 'non-resident'. Something to check into in any event as time goes by if one spends more and more time outside Canada/USA/Europe.

Archived