Needed: 1 Work Permit

Mr Pickles

I've been retired and living in Thighland for the last three years but am not old enough for the retirement visa as I've got six years to go before I hit the big 50. I have more than enough money to live on and have never considered working here. I'm more than likely going to go to Sunbelt Asia and have a business set up so I can continue my life here. Before I do that I thought it might be easier to see if anyone knew of someone that had an extra work permit and would be willing to "Hire" a westenern with a pocket full of payola.

A company is required to hire a certain number of Thais for every foreigner. That's the catch. Most companies would like to hire more foreigners than they already have, but are stopped by this requirement.

Also, setting up a business is a lot more trouble than it used to be -- and possibly not worth the effort. Check into it carefully.

It is not that easy nowadays to get a genuine teaching job -- with a proper visa and WP. Takes a BEd or at least a degree and EFL qualifications to get a teaching licence for primary or secondary teaching. No licence, no WP! Higher education doesn't require a teaching licence. Not that easy to get hired without experience though, unless they suddenly panic when the term starts and they realise they are short handed. (Happens now and then!)

Still, since his sole purpose is getting a WP and not having to work, I don't see teaching as an option. A better one might be a student visa. Sign up for some international degree programme at a place like Bangkok University or for a Certificate in Thai Studies, both of which are easy enough. A student visa is 6 months renewable.

Does he have to wear a robe when he renews his visa???

I have a friend who teaches at Wat Baworniwate. The salary only pays his rent, but the few hours a week he works gets him a visa and WP - since the papers are signed by the Supreme Patriarch of Thailand! I asked him once if there were any openings. He said no one in their right mind was going to resign from there.

Sign up for some international degree programme at a place like Bangkok University or for a Certificate in Thai Studies, both of which are easy enough. A student visa is 6 months renewable.

The problem with this option is that in many of the INternational program, attendance in Mandatory. Even at open universities such as RAM, the international programs have attendance and I think you are only allowed to miss 3 classes a semester per course.

Archived