Target is 'quality not quantity' tourists

rickfarang

Limbo,

The problem in Thailand is there is no rational intelligent restrictions on this. They see the dollar signs and cram in shops, hotels, bars, etc. where ever they can with little or no advanced thought of what that will do for the very things that make a place desirable for those coming to visit. It's insane as well that they have yet to get a clue to the enviromental apects of what this overcrowding, over-developing does. Many of these tourist areas are shitholes with trash piled everywhere. These places can only handle a certain amount of tourists a year, and need to be planned out so the infrastructure can be built to handle even that.

Grab the money and run is what most seem to do, not just here, but in many other places around the world that become popular tourist areas. They kill the golden goose with their greed.

Cent

This really is deja vu...speaking of which, Khun Purachai - of new social order fame - was appointed to the new legislature.

One would hardly expect a military government, and that's what this is in spite of a cosmetic change, to be in favour of social disorder. But you're right....it's the same old balancing act...keep the tourists coming.

Cent, i think Samui and Chaweng in particular is a classic example of what you are talking about. (I've only been to Phuket once many years ago so can't comment from personal experience there) I was for many years a very frequent visitor to Samui but not any more. Years of unrestricted and unplanned development trying to cash in on the tourist boom have IMHO destroyed the very things that made the place an attractive destination in the first place. Now when i want a few days out of Bangers and some sea air we jump on the bus down to Pattaya, ok the place is a bit of a dump but i think its better than it used to be and full of good value hotels and costs next to nothing to get there. Contrast that with Samui, about 14,000 baht for the wife and i to get there and then when you do you have to contend with over priced hotels and rip off transport prices. Chaweng beach in particular has now turned into a bit of a dump, with multi national franchises at every turn and the beach itself a pale shadow of its beauty 8 or 10 years ago. And the infastructure on the island struggling to cope with the huge influx of tourists over recent years.

Simie.

Archived