Mrs Balbirs

Lusty

I'd say Mrs Balbir's is about average for Indian restaurants. The food is okay, but nothing to rave about. My personal favourite is the Royal India in Pahurat -- good food and cheap. The place always has Indians and Pakistanis eating there, which sort of tells you something.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think I know a bit about Indian food coming from Birmingham LOL

My favorite Indian restaurant is the Akhbar on Soi 3 Sukhumwit

My favorite indian - Geronimo

Most over rated Indian restaurant in Bangkok - Mrs Balbirs

Nuff said

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

"I'd like to think I know a bit about Indian food coming from Birmingham."

The funny thing is that those "Balti" dishes popular in Birmingham and the UK in general seem to exist nowhere else. In more than 60 trips to all countries and all corners of the Indian subcontinent I have never ever seen the word balti on a menu. "Balti" is "bucket" in Hindi and rather associated with scrubbing the floor than with fine food.

And those Vindaloos, they're not really Indian either; they're purely a Goan invention. The vast majority of Indians haven't got a clue what a "vinda-loo" is (a new kind of toilet?). Most "Indian" restaurateurs in the UK hail from Sylhet in Bangladesh anyway, and someone once must have thought up this strange novelty, for better or for worse.

Anyhow, many people here seem to agree about Mrs. Balbir's - overrated like a soggy old chapati!

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Ahhh Indian food...

Used to enjoy Tamil Nadu on Soi 11, specially their Beef Masala.

The Kashmir is the mutts nuts in ruby houses. Bit of a journey from BKK though, it's in Penang smile.gif" border="0 Just like back in the UK.

Went to Akbars once, it was shite...

Here in Bangladesh there ain't a decent ruby for love nor money. Salty and oily as hell, rarely boneless...yuck!

Originally posted by abbot thong:

"Here in Bangladesh there ain't a decent ......."

... a decent anything. The main reason why I don't want to go back to Bangladesh (been there a couple of times) is that the food is so lousy, even in Dhaka. Ever seen any restaurants around the world which openly declare so sell "Bangladeshi food"? It's not a great come-on, is it. I haven't been in Dhaka for a few years; maybe things have changed a bit for the better - Inch Allah.

There are a few cheapo Bangladeshi joints in Singapore but they only cater to Bangladeshi workers. Hell, there's even a Srilankan restaurant in Bangkok and Sri Lanka is not exactly renowned for its sophisticated cuisine.

My prayers are with you, Abbot Thong! wink.gif" border="0

Scum - we meet in the strangest of forums...

You're right, all the restaurants are crap. There are no "up-market" Bangla restaurants in the diplo enclave where I eke out a miserable existance. A fairly reasonable Mexican, but not in the same league as the one in Rembrandt or the other on Silom. I'm a member of one of the British expat clubs, and even there the food is a nightmare. You know, garden peas you could build a house with, soup they serve with a knife and fork. And as for street vendors...

What were you doing here? Reading ancient sanskrit/pali texts about the Liberation War???

quote:

My favorite Indian restaurant is the Akhbar on Soi 3 Sukhumwit

My favorite indian - Geronimo

Most over rated Indian restaurant in Bangkok - Mrs Balbirs

Phil, I've been unable to agree with mnay of your previous selections in the food department, I mean your the only person who I have ever heard of enjoying Pizza Huts selection of crap, BUT agree totally with you Indian selection, Akhbar is quite the best and most consistant Indian Nosh in town.

quote:

Posted by Scum Baggio

And those Vindaloos, they're not really Indian either; they're purely a Goan invention.

Scum,

What about the tinderloo - which is hotter than the vindaloo!!!

When you order one in Birmingham, you get home and put a toilet roll in the fridge in readiness for the following morning LOL

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

"What about the tinderloo - which is hotter than the vindaloo!!!"

Tinderloo must be Brummie slang (or maybe Sanskrit) for "fifty-chillies-stuck-tight-in-a-steaming-bowl-which-will-be-slurped-up-by-a-drunk-football-hooligan-on-an-otherwise-uneventful-Sunday-evening". Don't worry ma, I'm only burning!

Originally posted by abbot thong:

"Scum - we meet in the strangest of forums...

What were you doing here? Reading ancient sanskrit/pali texts about the Liberation War???"

Which reminds me of that ex-freedom fighter, and later permanent lay-about, who tried to rob me of my belongings in Sishu Park in Dhaka one fair winter morning. Ah, those fond memories of Bangla-Land ... What was "hell-hole" again in Sanskrit...? Right, "naraka" ..., which in Thai becomes "narok" ... in Hindi "narak" and in Gujarati ...

And by the way, Abbot Thong, do you realise that that "thong" is one of the very few Thai words which probably are borrowed from Tamil? (Tamil thangam = gold). Shit, I think I had too much Indian tea tonight ...

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived