Mrs Balbirs

Lusty

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The place gets a lot of press and many swear by the food. That said, I can't say that I have found the food or service to be all that spectacular. It is a bit pricey, the wait can be long, and the dishes I have ordered have been hit and miss. I certainly would not give it a thumbs down, but the thumb sure isn't up either.

I have had better luck with Akhbar on Soi 3 near Bumrungrad Hospital.

froggo

I have Indian food virtually every day and feel qualified to comment. Mrs. Balbir's is a lousy excuse for Indian food and I haven't got a clue what that woman is so famous for! You are much better off at Indian Hut, Suriwong Rd. (opp. Manohra Hotel), or, if you can afford it, at Rang Mahal in Rembrandt Hotel.

Royal India in Pahurat is very good too, inexpensive as well, but the surroundings are certainly low-key - nothing to impress a Thai g/f with, for example. They also have a branch in Khao San Rd., but you better avoid it.

Incidentally, I've seen an increasing number of affluent Thais at Indian Hut, some looked like fashion models. Indian grub is slowly catching on with the "hi-so" set.

BTW, a friend of mine who visited Mrs. Balbir's a few weeks ago, saw a whole family of cockroaches grooving about, besides hating the food; he swears never to set foot in there again.

Some more decent Indian restaurants in Bkk:

Yogi Restaurant (vegetarian), Soi Upposot (or s.th. like that), off Suriwong Rd. left of Manohra Hotel; very good and inexpensive.

Chennai Kitchen (simple South Indian veg.), Pan Rd., off Silom Rd. (behind the Hindu Temple);

Tandoor, Holiday Inn, Silom Rd. (classy, expensive);

In Sukhumvit area: Mehman, Dhaba, Maharaja, Pasand. I've heard good things about Tycoon in Windsor Hotel, but haven't been there yet.

Outside of Bangkok, Phuket has two very good ones: Baluchi Restaurant in Horizon Hotel, Patong, and Navrang Mahal, in a sub-soi off Soi Bangla, Patong.

Pass the papadam, please. Cheers, SB.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

In Sukhumvit area: Mehman, Dhaba, Maharaja, Pasand.

You missed Bukhara's -- near the Nana Skytrain station between Soi 5 and 7. A bit pricey but damn good.

Originally posted by TEDBKK:

"You missed Bukhara's -- near the Nana Skytrain station between Soi 5 and 7. A bit pricey but damn good."

I haven't been there and I've heard mixed reports, so I didn't include it my list. Gonna try it soon. The liveried Indian watchman outside certainly looks impressive.

Cheers, SB.

Oops, forgot the Cholas Restaurant at Woodlands Inn, Charoen Krung Rd., just by the northern (right) side of the G.P.O. Fairly inexpensive and good. It has nothing to do though with the legendary, superb Woodlands restaurants in India, as the name of the host hotel may imply.

Originally posted by frogpatrol:

"Where exactly is the Royal India in Pahurat? Can you park at Old Siam and walk?"

It's in a tiny lane off Chakraphet Rd. Look for a Chinese temple (Sanjao Mae Tubtim), 50 metres south of ATM Department Store; it's in the lane exactly opposite. There is a sign at the corner of the lane/Chakraphet Rd.

From The Old Siam it's about 3-4 min. to walk (from Pahurat Rd. go towards Chakraphet Rd., cross over the pedestrian bridge at corner Pahurat Rd./Chakraphet Rd., turn right, walk 100 m on, then the lane will be on your left).

There is a parking lot right next to the Chinese temple, which gets you with 100 m of Royal India; but I think the lots are taken on an monthly basis. You might want to give it a try, though.

Dishes to try: Paneer Shahi Korma, Bhaingan Bharta and the Paneer Parathas. The black Dal (Moong Dal) is also very good, and they have some of the best Tandoori Roti around.

Cheers, SB.

Archived