Baan u ti neye? ��า�อยู��ี��ห��รั�

What do you do? วอ� �ู ยู �ู

Tam ngan arai? �ำ�า�อะ�ร�รั�

What do you like? วอ� �ู ยู �ล��

Kun chop arai? �ุ� �อ�อะ�ร�รั�

How old are you? ฮาว �อล�� อา ยู

Kun are you tao lie? �ุ� อายุ���า�ร �รั�

What time do you want to meet? วอ��าม�ูยูว�อ��ูมี�

Lao jer gan gee mong? à¹Âลà¹?วà¹?à¸?อà¸Âัà¸?à¸Âีà¹?à¹?มà¸?à¸?รัà¸?

(g as in gun)

The daily time in Thailand is divided into 4 quarters, so 9 in the evening is sometimes expressed as 3 night!. The 24hr clock is now widely used for tourists.

What time is it? วอ� ��ม� อิส อิ�

Gee mong lao? à¸Âีà¹?à¹?มà¸?à¹Âลà¹?วà¸?รัà¸?

Time ��มส�Wela �วลา

OK �อ��

Tok long à¸?à¸Âลà¸?

Not OK �อ��อ��

My tok long à¹?มà¹?à¸?à¸Âลà¸?

I will keep adding small extracts from www.speakeasy-thai.com if thats ok with everyone, if this is not the right section please pm me and I will move it. Thanks

�ม��อ� speakeasy-thai.com..

Seems pretty wank and kind of hackneyed in its transliteration, but then again its hard to do that with Thai... I have high hopes for www.langhub.com, which I got linked to recently.

Might be great for people starting out given it has audio content, but it appears it is not quite done yet... :up:

Cheers,

theNumbers

Hi Sorry the Introduction seems to have got lost, here it is again. It is supposed to be a guide for people starting out in Thai, really for someone coming to Thailand for the first time to help them get by.

Here is the Introduction which should give you an idea what the book is for.

Introduction

This phrase book has been designed to help you in your first few weeks in the Kingdom. The basic sounds in Thai have been simplified and broken down into syllables. If you read it as it is on the page (read English words as you would in English), a Thai person should understand in context. This is not tonal and is not the grammatically â??correctâ?? translation of English to Thai. There are many guide/phrase books and schools that provide an excellent service for someone wishing to extend their knowledge. Thai people are very friendly; donâ??t be shy and you will get along very well. The right hand side of the book has the equivalent in Thai; a Thai person can read in their own language the English pronunciation of a phrase, ie, they can read วาวà¸?ิสà¹?รียริà¹?วอà¸?à¹?à¸? and say â??wow this really works!â?? The first useful thing to know in ANY language is â??no thanks!â?? This can help you avoid the international airport touts and can save a lot of time and money. â??No, thanks!â?? - â??My ow krapâ??

We hope this guide helps you have a great stay in this beautiful and diverse country.

Archived