If you couldn't live in Thailand...

MaakSiDa

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<>

Vancouver is indeed a wonderful city but certainly not in the tropics....time to brush up your geography CB or comprehension skills :smirk: :cover:

Ok. We got quite a few suggestions about Laos, Vietnam, Burma, Singapore, and specific cities in Brazil.

My original question posted previously, is/was, would you give up everything from your home country? That is housing in home country, I guess. Would you live in one of the above mentioned cities/countries permanently?

I don't know & I don't have to know untill I try!!

But luckily I don't have to give anything up as I haven't lived in my home country since 2002 & I've got no home, car, dog, wife etc. there to leave behind :)

So as soon I get the 'chance' I'll follow work to any of the given places, but some have much more business going for it than others...

If talking solely potential retirement places than of course then the sky is the limit, but that tough choice is almost a lifetime away :cover:

In a related note, how long can one stay in these countries (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines, Brazil, Panama...) by doing regular border runs and/or visa extensions? (As opposed to Thailand's limitation of 90 days VOA within 180 days...)

And, how about the nightlife? I mean, Malaysia is a very friendly country as for the people, but the nightlife (with which I mean female company, freelancers, beer bars...)?? :(

Any similar places to Pattaya, Phuket or the lower Bangkok Sukhumvit Road to be found in South or Central America??

Yep, Laos for me as well. Still inexpensive, close to the LOS for visiting, good French bread, nice friendly people, cultural stuff I'd enjoy and ruins to explore, sort of like Isaan 50 years ago in many places I've heard (not been yet, hope to next June), my only problem is with the gov and I don't know if I'd like living under a communist regime. Plus maybe worse problems with visas and being able to stay long time there?

Cent

Ok. We got quite a few suggestions about Laos, Vietnam, Burma, Singapore, and specific cities in Brazil.

My original question posted previously, is/was, would you give up everything from your home country? That is housing in home country, I guess. Would you live in one of the above mentioned cities/countries permanently?

Sure. Why not? As long as it wasn't so dangerous that I would constantly fear for my life and I am able to visit my kids once or twice a year back in the states I see no problems doing so. I'm doing it right now and living under a military coup installed government! :)

Cent

Archived