Vegitarian Festival

Nervous_Dog

TC you may be interested in this.

now is the time of year, 10 days of vegan food, no meat, dairy and WHY no Garlic (to strong a flavour I am told, but chilli allowed!)

About 7 days to go of this, so if your a veggie freak, veggitarian food everywhere in Bangkok and Thailand right now (And china/Taiwan etc)

Look for little yellow flags!

DOG

And China/Taiwan??? Are you sure about that? It started in Phuket in the last century when a village of Chinese miners was struck by an epidemic. The elders decided it was because they had been neglecting to pay the traditional respect to the various Chinese divinities. They ordered everyone to go vegetarian as penance. Within ten days, the epidemic had ended. Thus the festival to this day.

Never heard of it's being in China though.

TC - Thought you;d be interested.

Flash I remember when living in Taiwan not so long ago they having a vegitarian festical, not sure if it is the same one but I assumed it was as it is Chinese Thais who celebrate this festival. Maybe not, the no garlic thing is common though for all chinese vegans.

Will

DGO

Well I can;t find any info either way, but TC may like this link

http://kin-jay.blogspot.com/ vegitarian recipes, and for restaurants

This was interesting

http://www.chiangmainews.com/dining/vegetfood.php

And while all this seems painless, I did find this from the Taiwan Times!

GASP SHOCK HORROR!!!

â?  Religion

Sex banned during festival

Fengyuan will ban love-making for three days next month during a Taoist festival, the organizing temple announced yester-day. The Chi An Chien Chiao (Pray for Peace) festival, held very 20 years, will be held from Dec. 8 to 10. All residents have been asked by the temple's management committee to eat vegetarian food and refrain from having sex during the festival to show respect for the temple's god mother. "We called a meeting for repre-sentatives from restaurants, hotels and brothels and asked them to follow the rules during the festival. They all agreed," Cheng Ping-hsi, deputy director of the committee, told Chinese Television (CTV). Restaurant owners agreed to either serve only vegetarian food during the festival or close for the three days. Brothel and hotel owners agreed to suspend sex trade for three days, he said.

Some good recipes on kin-jay.blogspot. Thanks ND!

The Vege Festival is also held in Penang. A lot of fun eating in the temples. Last trip I stumbled into a huge Tao festival to raise money for orphans and ate lots of stuff I hadnt tasted before. Restaurant cooks are there but also whole families sharing their family delicacies.

Dog,

My wife told me last night while we were having a meal and a dunkel weiss beer at the Farang Connection that now, due to the vegetarian festival, that the price of veggies has gone up. She says this happens every year due to this and something seasonal/agricultural as well. Never heard of this myself, but she says many Thais do go vegetarian this time of year as well (what is this, does anyone know?)

Cent

You will see folks in Chinatown loading up on veggies in advance of the festival. It has become so popular that about one Bangkok restaurant in five switches to vegetarian ofor the period.

The reason most folks (Chinese and Thai) who take part do so is to cleanse their body from all of their normal flesh eating. It is considered an annual purification. Then they go right back to eating everything under the sun, including the creepy crawlies. :dunno:

Archived