Khao San Rd Re-visited

I go through Banglamphu almost every day, and the place sort of sucks. KSR is more like spring break in Florida, with a few Thai vendors thrown in for colour. It ain't Thailand!

p.s. Iloved the reports in the local papers that some backpackers "were frightened away" from KSR because so many Thais were going there. Suspicions confirmed: backpackers just want to hang out with other backpackers.

I think KSR is a great laugh , a good place to go , get pissed & watch it all pass by , excellent for people watching . All the negatives mentioned are there of course , but there is also gold buried amongst all the shit , it's just a pity you have to go digging through the shit to find it.

Actually I guess there is not a great amount of gold , but I had a few good pervs last time I was there . Wouldn't want to stay in that part of town though .

As I usually do, I sent my students out to do native speaker interviews with tourists. Some of them went to KSR. I asked the students if they had any problems, and everyone who went to KSR answered YES! They said the backpackers either refused to speak to them or ran away from them. These were cute young girls in student uniforms -- and the dipsh*ts ran away! The students said it took some trying to get anyone to talk to them. On the other hand, those who went to the Grand Palace and places like that had very little trouble finding someone to interview. The KSR bunch really are loonies. What the hell do they come to Thailand for if they want nothing to do with the Thais???

quote:

What the hell do they come to Thailand for if they want nothing to do with the Thais???

Over many years I have had to ask this same question about some expats living in Thailand too. There are Thais to talk to that don't wear bikinis and need a drink first wink.gif" border="0

Songkran I went to KSR. I had been there during Songkran a couple of years ago, and at that time it was all farangs with water-machine guns and young Thais on pick-ups splashing water on bystanders.

GF didn't want to go, because TV and her brother advised against going there (too crowded).

It was amazing.

The area around KSR was all Thai kids on pick-ups, splashing water, white powder, no farangs. KSR itself was packed with kids, thousands of them, everybody was wet and white, no way to drive a pick-up there, I could hardly walk. Thousands of people - and no farang in sight.

I was there for an hour or so and, yes, there were a couple of lonely farangs with their backpacks, lost in the crowds, just coming from Don Muang and looking for their guesthouse. They fled the scene as fast as possible.

Definitely a Thai place, as non-touristy or non-farang as you could ever wish for.

BTW GF (middle class, non-CSW) likes to dream of those handsome farangs on KSR - but it's mostly just dreaming. Her brother sometimes goes their with friends, I guess because he feels too old for RCA (21). Her sister goes to RCA (18).

Archived