Now that is what is call tax break!

Falang

Potjaman's brother 'to be charged with tax evasion'

Bangkok Post online November 14

SURASAK GLAHAN AMPA SANTIMETANEDOL

The assets scrutiny committee is set to file criminal charges against Bannapot Damapong, brother of Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra, and other people linked to alleged tax evasion involving a 738-million-baht fund transaction made by the wife of former prime minister Thaksin in 1997, a panel source said yesterday. According to the source, Khunying Potjaman gave Mr Bannapot a sum of 738 million baht in Nov 1997 to buy 4.5 million shares from Shinawatra Computer and Communications Co from Duangta Wongpakdee, the Shinawatra family's maid.

[color:red]On my next trip to Thailand I am going to give my CV to wash the ong nam at khun Thaksin house because if the maid made enough money to buy 4.5 million share of Shin Corp I want my share to[/color]

Khunying Potjaman reported to the Revenue Department that the said amount was given as a wedding gift for Mr Bannapot, who was married in 1995, and the tax agency advised them that the financial transfer would be tax-free.

[color:red]Any daughter or sister in the Shinawatra family who want to mary me?[/color]

The source said, however, that the assets scrutiny committee had decided to apply Article 37 of the Revenue Code to file criminal charges, as the multi-million-baht sum was too large to be considered a gift. Those found guilty of falsifying evidence to avoid tax payments face imprisonment of up to three years and a fine of up to 200,000 baht.

Committee spokesman Sak Korsaengruang said yesterday the panel would also call on the Revenue Department to issue Mr Bannapot with a tax bill, adding that a total figure for the outstanding tax payments had not yet been finalised.

The committee is set to convene next Monday to appoint a sub-panel to conduct further inquiries into the case as it was clear criminal offences had taken place, he said. The allegation of tax evasion in connection with the multi-million-baht ''gift'' is the first of 12 cases being investigated by the committee to reach the inquiry stage.

The investigation is part of the panel's probe into Shin Corp's shares and financial transfers over the past 10 years which include the company's 73-billion-baht deal with Singapore's Temasek Holdings in January.

However, the same panel source conceded the decision to file criminal charges had faced opposition from some members who felt the panel may be moving in the wrong direction since it was the Revenue Department that advised Mr Bannapot he was not liable to taxation for receiving the ''gift''.

''Criminal charges could only be filed if Mr Bannapot was ordered to pay tax but intended to avoid doing so,'' he said.

Archived