Moving Abroad, do TGs Lose their "Thainess"?

Pescator

Oh, yeah. They do indeed. YMMV.

For one, the roles are reversed. In Los, you as a foreigner are the one to reel in, whereas in farangland you as a TG are a catch. It doesn`t take long to figure that out.

I had a friend telling me, that he thought that TGs were very skilled at adapted new customs while preserved their own ones as well, however, from both sides only the ones beneficial to themselves.

It has been a while since I first heard that and to this day I have been lacking arguments although exceptions do exist..... I am sure.

cheers

hn

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Mrs lived in Europe for five years before she met me and didn't seem to pick up any bad habits. It gave her a good insight into how farangs think which benefits me in some ways but cramps my style in others. She's still very Thai though, but can drop into Euro mode fairly quickly if I want to discuss something outside of local affairs.

In HN's friends experience it sounds like he resented the change but it's very much an individual thing on both sides the way I see it.

I don't know what is 'thai' and what is 'norwegian'.

I know my wife have grown in many areas, and I do know she amongst other things like the equality between sexes in farangland, but is that becoming more farang?

Don't think so.

The inability to keep track of time my sister have as well, and the gossip seems to be partly socio economic and partly bing a small group within a large group phenomenon.

...Many Thais in Sydney and she knows them all :) Never a dull moment in our house....

So why you never answer my calls :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I went to the Thai Food Fair at Darling Harbour the other week. It's funny how you could so easily tell the students from the.......IMO retired BG's. Like David said, there is that certain look you cannot mistake. There is a mother from my sons school, great lady but has Buriram Bar Girl written all over her.

I don't know what is 'thai' and what is 'norwegian'.

Norwegian? Neither do I :)

I suspect you already have an idea of what I am referring to.

I think it can be summed up like this: The reason why so many guys on this board prefer thai women over farang ones.

I am actually with CT, although I wouldn`t use such harsh vocabulary :)

I have for years had no interaction with the local thai community here, a deliberate choice on my part.

When the missus first came up here, I tagged along at first but it soon became all too obvious that I didn`t wanna waste ehh ..spend my time with this lot.

cheers

hn

I had a friend telling me, that he thought that TGs were very skilled at adapted new customs while preserved their own ones as well, however, from both sides only the ones beneficial to themselves.

Yep,

They're almost human. :) My guess it is only natural to enjoy the privileges of living in the west, like equal treatment between the sexes. After all, when we men go to Thailand, we like to be treated as kings as well, who wouldn't?

IME, they keep their thainess but accept less shit from their partners, because the equal rights they enjoy here. Does that mean they lose their Thainess? Not at all.

My wife, after 4 years in the west, is still very hospitable, feeds all our friends, even if they just drop in for a cup of coffee. She's very family oriented, attentive and helpful. She does expect though that I help around the house, which is OK with me. After all, she is my wife and not my maid.

That said, some girls come to the West not because they love their husband, but simply for the opportunity it presents to make some serious money. If your relationship is more like a mutual beneficial business deal instead of a loving relationship, you are definitely in risk of loosing your wife to a man who can offer her more, i.e. security AND love.

Soongmak

Archived