How hard to obtain a work permit in Thailand?

dean

You are so fu*cked up about the difference between a visa validity, entry stamp, and a work permit it is not worth the effort to try and explain to you. Why don't you just ask your freight forwarding agent how much it will cost to get the container into Thailand and "f*ck all custom. They will tell you somewhere around 25-35k and you are set. Forget all this Western controlling bull with web site and stuff, you are in Asia now

TH

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I guess that you have sent containers to Thailand. With building a house, getting married and moving to Thailand on a semi-permanent basis, I don't have a lot of spare time to research the subject of duty. By the way, are you saying it will cost between $25,000 and $35,000 to get the container into Thailand? That seems a little high to me.

One last question, TH. The container will be sent to Chiang Mai. It clears in Bangkok. Did you go to customs to personally hand the baht over to agent. I've been told it is a very good idea to show up personally but if I am just handing over money to an agent, I can pay his agency in Chiang Mai and not go to the trouble to fly down to Bangkok and back.

About the non B

To obtain the 1 year extension you have now to:

- employ 4 thais (meaning you have to pay the social fund) and prove you paid the social fund for 3 months.

(the 3 months can be skipped I have been told)

- Your company has to show 1 million bht in equity.

These rules are very recent and a big pain in the a*** for many farangs

One last question, TH. The container will be sent to Chiang Mai. It clears in Bangkok. Did you go to customs to personally hand the baht over to agent. I've been told it is a very good idea to show up personally but if I am just handing over money to an agent, I can pay his agency in Chiang Mai and not go to the trouble to fly down to Bangkok and back.

I gave the agent rep the cash when they brought the container to my house. This was in Bangkok. The agent handled everything, from Singapore to Thailand. Except for the customs fees, my ex-company paid everything else.

TH

About the non B

To obtain the 1 year extension you have now to:

- employ 4 thais (meaning you have to pay the social fund) and prove you paid the social fund for 3 months.

(the 3 months can be skipped I have been told)

- Your company has to show 1 million bht in equity.

These rules are very recent and a big pain in the a*** for many farangs

Not to mention that in order to obtain a one year B visa extension, you also need a audited balance sheet - not easy when you don't have a company that has already been trading for at least 12 months. Thaihome is spot on - just forget it and pay the duty or bribe - your choice but chat it through with the shipper.

Cheers

SS

Archived