UK terror plot charge dropped

Fidel

I'd really like to say I told you so....

ISLAMABAD: A Pakistani court yesterday dropped terrorism charges against a British man suspected of being a key figure in an alleged plot to blow up trans-Atlantic airliners, reports said.

Rashid Rauf, 25, was arrested in central Pakistan in early August. Pakistani officials said his detention led to the uncovering of the conspiracy to target jets with liquid explosives and that he was linked to Al Qaeda.

A judge at an anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi near Islamabad agreed to Rauf's petition that two charges relating to terrorism were "not relevant and this court cannot try him," his lawyer Hashmat Habib said.

"That practically means that Rashid Rauf has been acquitted of charges relating to terrorism," Habib said, adding that the case would now be sent back to a normal court.

The prosecution alleged Rauf was in possession of 29 bottles of the chemical hydrogen peroxide which was meant to be used to blow up the passenger jets, Habib said.

"But they failed to produce any evidence to support the allegations. This chemical is also used to heal wounds."

Continue reading

Hi mac,

Not yet. As I understand it from UK coverage, this was an extradition hearing which will now be transferred to a different court. The UK has other grounds for extradition but when he arrives back here, he will be charged with involvement in the airline plot. No doubt more evidence will be produced than they were willing to disclose to the Pakistan courts.

Maybe worst case he ends up in Guantanamo - if the CIA can organise a rendition.

khwai

Archived