Getting Tattooed In LOS?

Savittre

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting a tattoo, so, I'm wondering- Is there anything really unhealthy about getting a tattoo? My God, these days you can't even drink a diet coke without someone telling you you're in for cancer or whatnot- I don't expect to live forever, anyway!!

And, is there anywhere in LOS that does really neat tattoo jobs? Maybe they do tattoos you can't get/don't see in the West?? And last, how much does it cost?? Thank You

If you decide to do it just make sure the shop looks clean. Also make sure they are using disposable needles..if they are not...

run don't walk out of there. Ask the artist

too see some of HIS work..not the samples on the wall. He should have pics of some of his pieces.

Peace,

Scott

If you want a tattoo that you won't see or be able to get in the west, then you might want to check out getting tattooed at a temple. Some friends of mine did this a while ago and wound up with tattoos on their backs just below their necks. They told me it was administered old fashion style, with ink and a pointy stick, etc. More painful than a tattoo shop.

Has anyone who posts here have this type of tattoo or more info?

I had two tattoo's done in Bangkok last year and have had no problems. They are much cheaper then the US. The place I went was off Soi 13 in Bangkok. They were clean, reasonably priced, and very good.

CS

I would consider a tattoo only if I were ABSOLUTELY sure that the needles or anything that comes in contact with blood is disposable. Otherwise you are running a high risk of contracting some blood borne disease. Mainly Hepatitis B and C, possibly also HIV (less likely, though) and possibly some other maladies.

Knowing how things are done in LOS, I do not think I would trust their sterile techniques or their claims that things are disposable.

I have been tatted in Thailand three times.. two of them were done by a monk at a temple upcountry and one was done at a shop here in BKK

The tats from the monks are pretty cool but it is difficult to get them to tat a farang.. you really need to be taken to the temple by a member of the wat.. all the tats are symbols for budist preceps or from thai folklore..

I went a few times before they would tat me and had to sit with the monks for a long time.. then another time we went with a thai TV crew and got fillmed getting tated..

I have alot of tats and I would say this was the most painful.. the monk uses a long metal rod that is pretty blunt compared to a needle. He manualy pokes the tat into you, it is slow and very heavy.. you can feel each dot go in.. pop.. pop..pop.. its like getting stabed a hundred times..

I had two other thai guys holding me down while he did it so I wouldnt move..

But as far as tat shops go here in BKK there is a good shop on Sukumvit soi 5.. past foodland on the left.. the guy who tats in there is named Jimmy Wong and he is pretty famous in international tat circles as the father of modern tating in Thailand.. he started in the Vietnam war tating soldiers in Udon

He uses all sterile.. NEW.. nedles for every customer and is pretty good.. better at dragons and asian stuff..

peace..

I have had 2 tats done in BKK , both in last 2 years , no health issues . I have had many done before so knew what to look for , just make sure everythings clean , autoclave sterilization & all that .I had them done at 2 different places , both fine .

Never any of the temple type , sounds very interesting though . smile.gif" border="0

Once again a great thread. I am going to be in Thailand this fall. I have extensive ink. (full sleeves, back and chest ect). I am wondering what the general response is to guys with lots of ink. Both from the average Thai, and the girls. I agree that one must be very careful in regards to getting tattooed abroad. But if safety is in place, I would think it could be a great place to get inked By the way I have seen some photos of BG's with tats. Is it fairly common to come across inked girls. Anyway thanks for any input. I hope I can still make the trip.

I was thinking of starting this as a seperate thread a week or so ago , so glad it was raised .

My own dealings with Thais & my tatts ( & peircings but not face!! ) has been like this ( short version ) .

Most thais seem interested in the tatts in some way . I think in BKK they were looking when I was wandering around , but more so cos I have very pale skin , which makes the tats stand out more , thats what I think anyway . Like evrywhere people have a look. I know I allways look at others.

I have travelled in places like issan , stayed in villages , they don't care . they seemed to love it , all the kids were absolutely fascinated ( as they were with body hair) , the old guys all came & showed me their traditional ones , which of course we drank to!

As for bar girls , like people everywhere they seem to have their own tastes . I have been with girls that seemed to not notice , just interested in the baht I think . But 1 I was with who I spent about 6 weeks with , she had no problem telling me she did NOT like tatts or peircing FULL STOP! No explanation , she just did'nt like them , fair enough! I did'nt make any difference to anything , she still seemed to like me , so no problem.

The girls in BKK seem more "citified" & seem to like the tatts along with other trapping of young urban people , cool clothes . mobiles & all that . I guess if your an old codger who has turned green with all your tatts the girls may not think this is so trendy!

A tattoo story: I had only been in BKK for 3 days & was leaving that night on the overnight train to Samui . I decided to take a trip up to KSR to watch the freak show go by , as I had the day to waste .

I started drinking & thinking . I was planning on getting a tatt on this trip . Just not today , had'nt decided when. I drank , met some guy , who I drank with , & then I drank some more .

I then decided I had a few hours left so why not get tattoed ( I had forgotten where I was going ) . 2 or 3 hours later I walked out of the tattoo shop with my initialls emblazoned on my belly in large gothic lettering in bright red & black!! & a few baht more than I should have paid, had left my pocket . & no of course they did'nt mind that I was pissed.

Problem was that 24 hours later I was sober for a short period & was siitting on the beach on Samui at the start of 10 days of beach fun .Well did'nt I feel like a dickhead when I realised that to swim in the saltwater could risk ruining the tatt I liked very much & had paid well for . needless to say it took longer than 10 days to heal & I did'nt swim the whole time on Samui!!!

needless to say I had to spend much more time in the bars , thus meeting the 6 week girl who I went to issan with , issaan seemed like a great idea , after all I could'nt go to the beach!

smile.gif" border="0

Archived