Major Fire in BKK

llso

Zombie,

Actually I've competence as teacher but so far just have lectured at uni level. I don't have anything against competent and educated teachers, but incompetent and uneducated halfwits becoming teachers in Thailand just because they're born in an english-speaking country, sorry no compassion for those.

Actually the mistake in the article must be a part of a higher english class, normally "dis" has a negative effect on a verb.

I've heard there's a swedish class up north, maybe something for me after I semi-retire in the end of next year. :)

The Nation prides itself on being a THAI newspaper. Thus it appears they have fired most of their native English speaker sub-editors. The Nation's English often is atrocious -- especially on their website. Really a shame, since overall I like it better than the Post.

p.s. Thai journalists are more likely to have been Journalism majors than English majors. And the first thought when I saw where the fire was: arson! Happens too often here in property that is ripe for development.

<< but incompetent and uneducated halfwits becoming teachers in Thailand just because they're born in an english-speaking country, sorry no compassion for those. >>

What makes you think these folks are all native speakers? I've encountered Poles, Germans, Swedes, Danes, Dutch, Israelis and Filipinos teaching English in Thai schools.

:p

Yes, teachers, but who teaches thai journalists to write english? :cool:

It doesn't matter, it is upto the individuals ability and motivation to learn. As the saying goes, 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can not make it drink'.

Btw, i agree with you about all the scum sucking assholes who teach, but there are some good folks out there too, so to make such generalised comments is parhaps not terribly helpful?

Archived