Thais credit King for happiness

Chlp

Hi,

"The main index measured on expatriates increased slightly to 7.14 in December, due mainly to their acknowledgement of His Majesty's compassion and graciousness extended to foreigners working and living in Thailand, the poll said."

I'm sorry, but this sounds like utter bollocks to me.

Sanuk!

It would depend on which foreigners they asked. I know several that would say something like that. Not that it would have anything to do with the business positions they hold and their understanding of what is the right thing to say.

What do you want to bet they went to several of the various foreign chamber of commerce meetings and asked there?

TH

A. Excuse me, sir, are you an expat here?

B. Aye, Guvnar!

A. You velly hansom man, can I ask you survey?

B. Righto. Chip Chip!

A. Do you think the King is gracious and that makes your life better here?

B. Bollocks!

A. Before you answer, let me remind you that we have very strong lese majeste laws. If you say no, we may interpret that you think our King is not gracious, which means we can imprison you...but that mob of moto mafia sitting over there watching with those machetes hidden under their pretty new orange jackets can make that uncessary. So again, what makes your life better here?

B. The King is very gracious and it makes me happy.

(the following day)

Headline in the Bangkok Post

99% of ex-pats thank the King for his graciousness

(on page 14)

10 farangs leap from hotel balconies in bizarre mass suicide...drugs believed involved

Velly funneee

Actually KS, it's perfectly plausible...if you are a zombie/robot like individual and are always told what to think and how to think, then if someone says 'this will make you happy', you believe it...

As regards the farang, all farang know you NEVER say anything bad about HM...so what alternatives are there?

I'm a little concerned though at when compassion and graciousness was extended to foreigners? Did i miss that? They've tightened up the visa rules, reduced partying time, are creating further complications to foreign investment(s) etc etc...if anything things have become increasing nationalistic lately...where's the compassion? Did i miss something...? Such a statement is bordering on the paternalistic and patronising...imho of course.

I love Thailand, but why do i always get made to feel like i'm lucky to be here and only allowed to stay by the grace of others?

Archived