General Vo Nguyen Giap is a hero

MaiLuk

From what I understand Tet was a military disaster for both the NVA and even more crucially for VC elements annihalated all over the country. But the political ramifications that the north appeared stronger than ever when they were supposed to be on the brink of defeat won the war.

Makes you wonder just how close Germany got to achieving the same thing with the battle of the bulge. By that time the allies thought germany was ground down too weak to mount a major offensive. Germany's aim was intentional; not to win the war by this battle, but to drive a wedge between the US and British all the way to the sea. It almost worked as the tension was incredible. Monty ridiculed the US for allowing the breakout. Patton threatened to resign unless Monty was fired. Germany's plan seemed to be working, but in the end it blew over.

But as far as Ho embracing Communism in 1919-1923, remember he embraced anything at anytime he thought it could bring freedom to Vietnam. He was disenchanted after WWI as the super powers talked of freedom of the colonies. When he walked in to ask about Vietnam he was quickly shown the door. He loved Lenin's methodology as it was kind of a step by step procedure he could reuse for an overthrow in Vietnam. He also tried again to reach out to the west during WWII offering up his forces to the US. He even took personal responsibility in delivering a downed US airman to the nearest US base. All of his efforts proved futile after the war as the US ignored him. I think he wrote to Truman 7 times after the war and got not so much as a single response for his efforts.

FDR and Truman both did NOT want the French to return to Indo-China after WWII. But the French were determined to reclaim their colony. (The Brits actually occupied VN and held it until the French could take control again.) The French made demands that for some unfathomable reason they got away with. The US had to give part of the American occupation zone to the Froggies so that they could feel they had won the war (despite having surrendered). They also brought pressure on Truman and the US govmt not to have anything to do with the colonial liberation movements in Indo-China.

Not many people know that the Thai govmt under Pridi Phanomyong was helping Ho against the French immediately post-war. A lot of US weapons supplied to the Thai Underground in WWII ended up post war in Viet Minh hands.

I'm not so sure Ho embraced communism out of anything other than total acceptance of the "magical formula". There were many other nationalist groups trying to free VN, ranging from far right through far left. Ho and his followers exterminated the non-communist resistance groups, leaving just the communists to take over.

Ho was so identified with war that I remember quite well when a rumour got out that he had snuffed it. Must have been about March 1969, since I was still in a line platoon. One morning the local villagers came out to greet us, smiles on their faces and drinks in their hands. They told us that Ho Chi Minh was dead and now the war would end. Peace would return and we could go home. Of course, Ho didn't die until some months later -- and the war went on as usual.

Archived