Laptop Display Wrong Size

gawguy

I have two older Thinkpad laptops with Win2000 installed and I have been working on some setups. On one of them the display is normal, on the other all items on the display are too big by about 20% and all text and graphics is blurred. This happens as soon as Windows starts. (Windows XP is clear and normal on this computer.)

The laptops have different bios versions. The older version runs my Win2000 normally. The newer version has a bios option for display to increase the length and width. That was turned on and that caused everything to stretch and blur. (But not for XP)

When I turned off the increase, windows 2000 booted clearly, but it did not feel the screen. It was all there, but there was a large black border all around it.

The monitors (lcd displays) are the same size on both computers and adjusting the display in the control panel doesn't help.

So it is old bios good, new bios bad? That doesn't make sense.

Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix it?

BTW - I want to run W2000 because it runs all my Thai and English software perfectly. XP puts out garble in Thai propgrams, like Thaisoft dictionary. I posted that problem, and I believe Old Hippie said he had the same problem, but no one had a cure for it.

Thanks,

GG

Have you thought about downloading the video driver, then uninstall the driver and the video adapter (in device manager). Restart. Windows will detect the video adapter. Then install the driver you downloaded. There's a chance the problem is solved.

When this doesn't help then there's the option to return to the older bios.

Okay...I've been researching and found out more, but I have not yet resolved the problem.

The problem as I see it now is that my monitor is capable of a resolution of 1024x768 pixels, but the highest option I am given in the Win 2000 Control Panel is 800x600. The normal resolution setting for Thinkpads is 1024x768 and when mine run normally, that resolution is set in the Display control panel.

So the question is: With certain machines, why isn't 1024x768 available in the Control Panel under W2000 even though the monitor is capable of that resolution?

Hello Carlton,

Yes, I'm looking for a driver. There is no "Display" device listed at all in my Device Manager on the computer that doesn't display correctly.

The computer that does display correctly is a different model thinkpad, same w2000 installed and it has "Display" listed in the Device Manager and a driver. I'm trying to find that driver online. I'll update you.

Thank you very much as always,

Gaw Guy

No display adapter? That's strange.

When you open the device manager, is there any entry with a red cross or a yellow exclamation mark?

Ok, if you don't know which display adapter is used, go to IBMs/Levonos support site and search for manuals/drivers for your thinkpad. Manual will tell you which display adapter is used.

Once the display adapter is properly installed and the drivers installed you should be able to choose a higher reolution than 800x600.

Archived