exporting Thai goods??

thecoach

I've been coming to Thailand for vacation for about 6 years now. I was in Tland and Bali for my last trip. In Bali I bought some great paintings and other artwork for unbelievably cheap. On trips to Thailand in the past ive bought paintings, fake watches, etc. I give them away, or sell them for cheap. I had an idea for my next trip. Loading up on Paintings. Abstacts , still art, etc. They are very cheap.. $15-40 dollars.. Get about 100-200 of them , and then get back to the states, and put them on EBAY.. I would think these orginal pieces would sell for 4x or maybe 10x the price of the cost in

Thailand. I'm sure i am not the first guy to think of this, so I would love to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well.. for my first trip, I would go get them myself..(make it a business/pleasure trip) I would only bring the canvas back. They can be rolled and are quite light. I think I could fit 150 canvas prints in my 2 big bags of luggage. I would buy 2k worth of prints.. and a goal of selling them for at least 10k.. Its small cash, but I would like to start on a small scale to see if it works...

if you bring that many back , it will be considered a commercial import , more than for your personal use,

are you going to declare them coming home ?

I am not sure how unknown paintings go on Ebay , have you been watching Ebay auctions to see what sells good ?

Do your homework before buying that many , or you may be using them for wallpaper :)

OC

PS....I bought some things with the same idea, got home and searched Ebay, OOOPs someone from Thailand was selling them cheaper than I bought them for :(

Do your homework first !

I've done my fair share of this in the past. Ebay has been done to death and very few stones been left unturned. You can make money but if you're expecting x4 and x4 10 returns you'll be dissapointed.

You might hit a line that does that occasionally but as soon as you do the market will be flooded and you could get stuck with overpriced stock.

Ebay buyers themselves can be a real set of swines as well. You could be opening up a real can of headaches with cheapskates, non payers and people claiming the goods haven't arrived or aren't what they ordered.

I don't want to sound negative about it, if you want to make a fortune it won't happen. If you look at it as a way of circulating money for a smallish return and eating into some of your flight costs that's more realistic. I found I made more money doing extra hours at work, although Ebay's could be regarded as a more constructive way of spending your time than going to the pub.

Cheers

Archived