Grande Sukhumvit by Sofitel

Patella

It is close to the new dynasty Grande, where I've stayed a few times. the main hassle about that soi is to get there when you come by cab from the airport. If the cab takes the Sukhumvit exit from the expressway, they can't turn into Soi 4, but have to do a long loop to get there. Also, leaving by cab, you join Sukhumvit in direction Ploenchit, hassle if you want a cab to go to SC or so.

But conveniently close to Lolitas, if you're on a leash, and need a quickie. "Sorry darling, I'm just going around the corner to by some fags, back in a short while".

• 2 weeks later...

Stayed there for a month when it first opened. I stayed in the "Diamond" suite I think it was called. It was brand new and the room was very very good. Because they had just opened (about July last year) I stayed for 52,000 for the whole month.

The room at that time had free internet (which they attempted to revoke at the tail end of my stay). I think they probably charge for it now - and at the time I left they were foisting it on hapless customers for 600Baht a day!!! Kitchen with all hot plates, microwave, full size fridge, pots and pans, utensils etc. I really liked having the kitchen because it was a holiday for me, and cooking is a hobby for me. Had some TG's make some really nice food which was nice.

The lounge room had a large plasma tv with Dvd player. Likewise the bedroom which was separated from the lounge room by stylish opaque glass french doors (very useful if you want to stay up drinking watching the telly while your guest sleeps).

The bedroom itself was also furnished with a plasma tv and I can't quite remember but I don't think there was a dvd - could be wrong about that though. I like watching dvds in bed and I vaguely remember being a bit miffed by that.

Around the corner there is lots and lots of mirrored wardrobes and a vanity area (were girls can sit down and do their make up. This led on to a very nice bathroom with a door that locks.

I really liked my stay, the staff were very good there. I'd pull up in a taxi with shopping and a couple of cartons of beer and the bell boy would take it up to the room and pack it all away for me, including beer in the fridge. I'm reminded of being rather impressed by that.

Because they were still installing two more elevators (only two were in operation for the whole hotel!) it was often ridiculous going somewhere. Waits of 15 minutes were fairly usual and if I was meeting someone I'd often have to allow for this!!! I haven't stayed there since but I suspect even with the extra two elevators that this would still be a problem. A real design flaw. In my opinion a hotel that size should have 8 elevators servicing the rooms, not 4 (or come to think of it - I think they only have 3!!! Can't quite remember).

They must advertise a lot to Muslim countries because the bulk of the customers were Muslim. I had no problem with this - but some of the Thai girls were a bit miffed by this - whatever!!!

The other criticism is the location of the hotel itself. Soi 6 can be a real pain to get in and out of on foot (Rush hour there is no other choice, 'lessin you like taking your life in your hands on the motorbikes). At rush hour you have to dodge motorcycles coming from both directions (it's a one way street) whilst the road is clogged with cars and trash and sometimes dead rats that have been "pizza'd" by the trammel of the traffic. I usually take the shortcut through to Soi 8.

There was a rather small gym (but very knowledgeable guy that would act like a personal trainer if you asked) and an almost garish "Roman" style pool with adjacent drinks bar.

Overall I would recommend the hotel although I imagine the prices have since sky rocketed. It was affordable for me and was nice to stay the whole month - I think the room rates for a night were about triple or more for a single night compared to taking the monthly rate and dividing by 30. So I'd only stay there for the month unless my company was paying for it.

Archived