Grande Sukhumvit by Sofitel

Patella

I've not been inside, but friend coming here for business stayed there three days in November.

In casual conversation I asked, "How is your hotel?"

His response was cool.

Here's what he said, as best I can remember, but please note, this is hearsay, not first-hand observation:

• [color:blue]"It's okay, but nothing special.
    Just like any other average business hotel in any big city I've ever been.
    If the company weren't paying, I sure wouldn't put out that kind of money to stay there.
    Big lobby but the rooms are nothing special.
    The food wasn't so great either -- just typical hotel food.
    Dumpy neighborhood, too."[/color]

He said when he comes again (twice a year), he's going right back to Sheraton Sukhumvit at Asoke, where he's usually stayed in the past.

Now, that's not a careful hotel review.

And I must repeat, I've never been inside.

If it's the Sukhumvit Grand you are refering to, I stayed there for 1 night before moving on, it was the grubbiest most tacky hotel I've ever used in Thailand, but this was about 5 years ago and a lot can change in 5 years. There are usually no shortage of rooms this time of year so unless you can check it out before booking, or get a few positive recomendations, I would give it a miss.

ND, that is soi 6. It goes off soi 4 just by the Swan Inn and then takes another right angle turn further down to join onto Sukhumvit. There is also an alley off soi 6 (where the horrendous Sukhumvit Crown is) that joins on to soi 8. The alley also contains Lolitas.

Simie.

ND, i'm familiar with soi 6 as i used to live there, but hav'nt been down there for a while so am not familiar with the new hotels there. They did start a lot of building work towards the end of my time there though. Moved to Suk 41 after that so hav'nt been down soi 6 for a while. I believe the hotel concerned in the original post however is a new 4 star place, but hav'nt heard anything too positive about it.

Simie.

Archived