cost of mobiles in los

fatharry2

anyone tell me how much i can expect to pay for a mobile in los. i am after a nokia 3310, or motorola v50, equivalent for a present fpr tg, on one-one or whatever the equivalent is. i probably will have to get it in pattaya. any ideas on price and were to buy it from? cheers harry

I can quote you Nokia 3310. On the leaflet I have here with me is says between 7900 and 8900 baht, depending on what company you buy it from, and what kind of payment system you choose. Cheapest is DTAC at 7900 baht.

I just last week bought myself a Siemens C-35 Silver at 5900 baht. Looks great, and came with 2000 baht free phone calls(with D-prompt system, that is without monthly fees, but with prepaid cards, good system if you want to keep some discipline in using the phone). If in Bangkok, you could try the J-market shops at the skytrain stations(that is in the actual stations), they seem to have a good choice and service.

[ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: choopthai ]

Bought my second 3310 a little over a month ago at MBK for 7000 baht including 2000 baht calling credit, thus 5000 for the phone. Lost my first 3310 courtesy of the THAI MILITARY PERSONNEL at the border who STOLE it when I looked the other way (they were checking my bags). ahem, still a bit ticked about that.

You can buy the 3310 anywhere for 7900 with 2000 baht calling credit. Can buy it at Robinson's, Tesco/Lotus, or any DTAC shop. AIS seems to charge 8900 for it's prepay system and phone.

<<burp>>

About a month ago I read a research report - I think it was Merrill Lynch - that indicated that mobile phones in LOS are some of the most expensive in the world and that far better prices will be had in Singapore.

Also, you need to check that any telephones purchased here will work with other providers (not roaming service) but as a subscriber.

Problem is Nokia's bought in Singapore won't work in Thailand.

The shops in MBK also find it very dificult to alter them to work.

Less problems with Ericson and Motorola.

But the price of mobiles here has dropped so much over the last 2-3 years its better to buy one here.

about 3 years ago I bought a 6110 here for over a $1000 dollars. Now you can buy the 8210 for under $300.

The Hamburger

Archived