Best Cellphone calling plan?

what is the best plan to get for cheapest phone rates on cell phones? Where would I go for it (I'm in bk)?

I don't yet have a cell phone. so i would need to get a phone as well.

quote:

Originally posted by DanceHigh:

what is the best plan to get for cheapest phone rates on cell phones? Where would I go for it (I'm in bk)?

I don't yet have a cell phone. so i would need to get a phone as well.

When you take the skytrain, walk up to any of the J-market telephone boots. They are on most but not all of the stations upstairs. They have two different leaflets, one describing the phones and one with the prices and different quotes for different systems(paycard versus other systems). It is all in Thai though, but you can try to chat with them in English I guess. I bought me a Siemens I-35 Silver last week, 5900 baht, with 2000 baht free phonecalls. Uses prepaid card(D-prompt)

Try Telewiz and MBK for a one-2-call promotion.

You get a new, small, Mitsubishi mobile and 1800B credit on the phonecard.

Price 3900B and I believe that you can rec calls in the Londoner Pub(underground!) & in ALL Soi 33 bars. cool.gif" border="0

It seems that sim cards on the black market get more and more common.U pay only once and can call untill it's get closed(from 1 night to a couple of weeks for international calls and a couple of months(not sure about that one) for national calls)

What's a sim card and where can I get me one?

I think this must be what I ppl using in Chiang Mai where they were selling phone calls for substantially bellow what you would pay for a landline in your house. (Overseas - anywhere - for 10 baht a minute!).

quote:

Originally posted by luisBKK:

It seems that sim cards on the black market get more and more common.U pay only once and can call untill it's get closed(from 1 night to a couple of weeks for international calls and a couple of months(not sure about that one) for national calls)

I guess you are a visitor, not a resident.

In that case only prepaid cards make sense.

Do you want to use the phone everywhere in Thailand, even places like Bang Saphan or Sakaew? Then you must use AIS's prepaid system, they call it one2call. If you want to use the phone only in Bangkok or Pattaya, the cheaper DTAC is good enough (their prepaid plan is called Dprompt).

Both are cheaper if you buy at MBK than if you buy at Telewiz or J-mart. One shop with good prices is the one (actually they have two stalls) whose logo is a wooden horse for kids (no English sign), but there are many others, you have to shop around.

You will buy phone and some airtime as a package. The cheapest AIS package used to be a Sagem MC 920 including 1800 B of airtime for 3300 B (mine was broken after 3 months), Dprompt may have other models. Prices are falling.

Once you have used up your airtime you have 2 choices: buy a refill card, or buy a new sim card, that's the little plastic card you put into the mobile, it carries your number. Last time I checked new sim cards for Dprompt with 2000 B worth of airtime were sold for 1200 B - so this was cheaper than buying a refill card. But you would have a new number if you did that - maybe not convenient. You can get around this if your mobile can have 2 sim cards (so you have 2 numbers), but the cheapest mobiles don't have this option.

BTW once you have made your choice between AIS and DTAC it maybe impossible to change (eg with the Sagem). Siemens and Ericsson can be fixed in a way that you can use both, costs a couple of hundred Baht.

quote:

Originally posted by DanceHigh:

What's a sim card and where can I get me one?

I think this must be what I ppl using in Chiang Mai where they were selling phone calls for substantially bellow what you would pay for a landline in your house. (Overseas - anywhere - for 10 baht a minute!).

)

[/QB]

Dancehigh

Yes it's probably what U saw there.Those are actually AIS or DTAC cards.Don't ask me how they get them(I'm not even sure actually...)but the bills are not paid and it works untilll the line is cut.Look around to get one...Some guys I know start to sell them for 5000 baths in the touristy areas.

As I get them quite cheaper I may be starting too laugh.gif" border="0

May be going to Europe before though...doesn't sound that fun to sell phone cards crazy.gif" border="0

U can as well follow Iyutrede advice

Archived