Is Udon Thani worth a visit?

quote:

Originally posted by bushman:

Where is the sanook scene in Nong Khai as

I have been considereing going to Nong Khai and Laos

Bush

Well, you won`t find any "Sanook Scene" as the ones you see in Phuket, BKK, Pattaya, Samui. But there are quite a few places to pick up freelancers.

I used to hang out at a place called the Khiribun, a karaokee bar. It wasn`t any particular just a good place to pick up freelancers. Mind you there are also a number of laotians in this city looking for "business" and if you don`t find them, with any luck they will.

Besides from that Nong Khai sure has more than its share of brothels.

But my advice to you would be to ask the tuktuk/samlor/motorbike drivers to get the most update informations on this subject. I always do when I come to a new place. These guys sure know what is going on.

And the hotels/guest houses in Nong Khai seem to be unusually indifferent to guests bringing female companionship to their room.

Check out the Maekhong Guest House for a sunset dinner or take the sunset cruise on the river at 5 pm, from the temple near by.

Don`t forget a visit to the most bizarre temple you will find in Thailand Wat Sala Gaew Kuu or Wat Khaek as the locals put it. It is some 4 kilometres to the north of town.

You won`t find something like this elsewhere in Thailand.

I see you may be in Issan for Loy Kratong (turn of the month,this year, Nov 1st or to 3rd i think). I had my most memorable upcountry Loy Kratong festival in Nong Khai, and you'd guess so, with the mekhong nearby. The wat Kaek temple has changed since Luang Puu Surirat, the founder, died. he had an incredible flock of hair reminding of Little Richard, and the Nong Khai people did not like him for some obscure reason, mostly he would have spoken against the king,he was laotian. he also used to have always a cute boy with him, so a real character as far as Issan goes. Well, now, his son has come back from LA to manage the park of sculptures like a Disneyland attraction, with parking, entrance fee and souvenir stalls. I never saw more than half a dozen people before, but last year, 8 years after my last visit, easily a couple hundred people (mostly thais) strolled around. Still, i would recommend it, it is indeed unique. Try not to miss Loy Kratong if you are around.

Archived