Is Udon Thani worth a visit?

I will be in LOS for a couple of weeks in late October. I was thinking about going up to Udon Thani for 2 or 3 days and maybe going on up into Laos for a day just to say I've been there. What is available in Udon Thani? Go-gos, beer bars, freelancer hangouts? Any information is appreciated.

Temples, dinosaur ruins, more temples, some national parks, and oh yeah, more temples, as for "sanuk" you can find it, but maube not as much, or as prevelant. As I remember it, it is mainly farm land, and a dryer, cooler climate (in relative terms) than BKK. As for Laos, I have heard, (but not been)that Long Pra ban is a better place to visit than Vientine, more culture etc. As I remember, visas are available at the border. I have been concidering a similar type trip to Cambodia for the same reason, just to say I been.Good luck!

There is the hi tech disco, and karaokes also masages but no night life as you would see in Bkk, Pattaya etc. The Udon cafe is good and you can takes girls out of there, opp the Udon Hotel.-peter

quote:

Originally posted by GWillie:

What is available in Udon Thani? Go-gos, beer bars, freelancer hangouts? Any information is appreciated.

I highly recommend Udorn. Though you won't find go-gos, the place has lots happening at night. As noted, this mainly takes the form of tecs, karaoke, and massage. Udorn is well known among Thais for its massage scene.

There are also some impressive sights (temples, ruins) nearby, and Nong Khaay and Laos are a van ride away.

Froggo

quote:

Originally posted by Peter G:

The Udon cafe is good and you can takes girls out of there, opp the Udon Hotel.-peter

What is the Udon Cafe? A restraunt with girls available? I was looking at staying at the Udon Hotel. A website mentions that there is a massage available there. Do you know anything about it? Traditional? Extras available?

All--

I'm sure that Udon, like most other parts of Northern/Eastern Thailand, is "sanuk"-barren compared to Metro-Bangkok.. IMHO, part of going to a different country is to experience the 'total package'... Me personally, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the more remote places in the Kingdom in my future visits.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Gwillie,

I was in Udon last december, but was with a BG.

A huge fair was gonig on, so we had fun.

Some hotel info:

Udon hotel, 81-89 Thanon Mak Khaeng, 00 6642 248 160 (550-750bth)

Tong Koon hotel, 50/1 Thanon Mak Khaeng, 00 6642 326 336 (500 bth)

I stayed at Tong Koon, looked better from the exterior than the Udon, probably paid 600 baht. They have a massage parlor opposite the hotel entrance. Sorry cannot say more about night life.

Considering doing the same? Bring a TG with you?

quote:

Originally posted by GWillie:

I will be in LOS for a couple of weeks in late October. I was thinking about going up to Udon Thani for 2 or 3 days and maybe going on up into Laos for a day just to say I've been there. What is available in Udon Thani? Go-gos, beer bars, freelancer hangouts? Any information is appreciated.

Beer bars in Udon? hehe that is a good one:-)

The sex scene in Udon is for thais although there is quite a large number of foreigners living here too.

That`s is why you mainly find "AAp Op Nuat" massage parlours, try the one at hotel Charoensri Palace, very recommendable if you haven`t tried something like this out. I can even supply you with the longitude and Latitude of this place if you are having problems finding it:-)

Then there of course are the Karaoke Lounges where you will be asked if you want female companionship for the evening "Aw Sao Ma Nang Duaiy Mai Kha?" and you can take them out of there too - at a price of course.

There are also the usual thai brothels where you get to make your choice between a number of girls usually 5-7. But that may be a bit hardcore for you if you are used to the beer bar enviroment.

For freelancers I found Nong Khai at the bank of the Maekhong River 60 KM to the North to be much better and it is a much nicer place to stay too.

Archived