Adapting 120V 60Hz for Use In Thailand??

Savittre

Hi Guys,

I don't know much about electronics, so I hope someone out there with more knowledge can offer me a suggestion-

I have a portable CD/MP3 player I bought in North America. I have an adapter so I can plug it into the wall and avoid buying batteries all the time but as you know, the LOS has different electrical specs than North America. Here's what my adapter says:

Direct Plug-In Class 2 Transformer

Input 120V - 60Hz 18W

Output 4.5V 500mA

What I'd like is to be able to plug my machine into the wall in the LOS. Is there anything I can buy in Thailand that will allow me to do so, and if so, please tell me exactly what to buy (and where to get it, if you have any suggestions along that line... smile.gif" border="0)

BTW, on the machine itself, it says 'POWER SUPPLY DC 3V, FOR AC ADAPTER- DC 4.5V

Thanks, Guys!! smile.gif" border="0

Input 120V - 60Hz 18W

Operative word here is 60Hz. You can get an portable transformer that will boost your 120V up to 220V but the Hz here in Thailand is 50 Hz, which has an effect on MOTORS only.Your CD player may run slow or fast don't remember which due to the difference in Hz. The best alternative is to bring some rechargeable batteries and buy a cheap 150 Baht 220 V battery charger for double AA batteries. Run your CD off of the recharged batteries and you will not have to worry about the Hz problem.

Hi!

A 4.5V 500mA mains adapter is very common and rather small. At local stores and markets you can probably get them for clearly less than 500.

In my opinion buying a stepup transformer for anything that can use a mains adapter is a waste of both space and money.

regards

ALHOLk

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: ALHOLK ]

The Hz in this situation don't matter in that the voltage is converted to DC which is a level voltage.

The best thing to do though rather than buying a step down transformer is to buy a 240V transformer for the discman. They are available and as I said earlier are around the 500B mark. The rechargables isn't a bad idea though. so long as you buy 2 sets, 1 charging 1 in use. so now 3 options aren't there, or rather 2 good ones, rechargables and a 240V battery charger for them or a dedicated 240V transformer for the player. Price either way is relatively similar.

quote:

Originally posted by rictic:

The Hz in this situation don't matter in that the voltage is converted to DC which is a level voltage.

Don't fully agree here. The frequency MAY matter. If the frequency applied to a transformer is increased, the inductive reactance of the windings is increased, causing a greater a.c. voltage drop across the windings and a lesser voltage drop across the load. However, an increase in the frequency applied to a transformer should not damage it. But, if the frequency applied to the transformer is decreased, (as in this case)the reactance of the windings is decreased and the current through the transformer winding is increased. If the decrease in frequency is enough, the resulting increase in current will damage the transformer. For this reason a transformer may be used at frequencies above its normal operating frequency, but not below that frequency. (Jeeezus, I'm boring myself!)

The transformer may overheat at a lower frequency if at its rated load. That's why these little suckers secify the input Hz.

I have used mine without problems even tho rated at 60hZ (shaver), but that doesn't mean another one won't. I HAD a battery charger that died a quick death on 50Hz, 1 minute. Next trip I am getting a 50Hz 220V battery charger for AA s for digital camera. One that charges 4 at a time. I travel to LOS enough to make it a wise investment.

crazy.gif" border="0

Savittre,

I (sadly) just returned from LOS. I had brought with me a 240V-to-120V converter that I picked up at Radio Shack for about $18 if I recall (bout the size of a fat pack of cigs). It did work great however what the others said about the cycles (Hz) is true, I used it on my US made blow dryer and while it worked, the motor sounded different and the 'low' setting wouldn't work at all, however no problem in 'non-motorized' devices like re-charching my digital camera battery, etc.

Thank You all very much!!

Quote From LangsuanMan:

the Hz here in Thailand is 50 Hz, which has an effect on MOTORS only.Your CD player may run slow or fast don't remember which due to the difference in Hz. The best alternative is to bring some rechargeable batteries and buy a cheap 150 Baht 220 V battery charger for double AA batteries

For this reason, I think I'll go the battery charger route. For all I know, the 50 Hz factor may bugger up the motor, in which case I'd need to buy a new player....

Anyway, an interesting read! Khap!! smile.gif" border="0

Archived