Singapore sex industry exposed.

chuckwoww

01/29/07 09:52 AM - Post#564391

S'pore sex industry film focuses on pleasure

By Miral Fahmy Mon Jan 29, 7:48 AM ET

SINGAPORE, Jan 29 (Reuters Life!) - Ekachai Uekrongtham loves a sordid story and the award-winning Thai director wants prudish Singapore to hear this one.

This week, Uekrongtham finished shooting "Pleasure Factory," a film about Geylang, the city-state's red light district, which he wants to release in the second half of the year.

"In this very orderly society, this very pristine place, Geylang is very unexpected," he told Reuters by telephone.

"Geylang is a black hole which Singapore often pretends does not exist but which, of course, does exist."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070129/film_nm/singapore_film_dc

Unlike LOS, prostitution is legal in Sillypore. It's the freelancers they crack down on. Haven't been there for a while, but there are(were?) other places - one back alley in little India comes to mind. Used to be a big pickup joint at Clifford Pier all those years ago, especially for the Thai FLs who were trying to make the most of their two week visa. Tropicana, off Orchard Road, long time closed, was another place. I guess Orchard Towers took over. Wonder if that will be in the movie...

Fark - Tropicana. Had my first ever working girl from in there. Clifford pier (what the hell was the name of that big bar??), Jockey pub, Brannies in its hey day. All long gone sadly.

Used to be a bloody fun place, and in those days it was as likely to be an SPG instead of a working girl (sign of my aging I suppose).

Little india was mainly desker road (still there), although Flanders square (IIRC) also had some.

Geylang was OK, but the best stuff was always for the locals, the farangs got the left overs in general.

Four floors of course - club 392 (ground floor), top ten. Both gone I beleive. The weird philipino place in the basement (good for a sunday afternoon pick up). Was in four floors a while back -loads of freelancer places, and a MUCH better mix than there used to be - thais, philipinos viets, you name it.

Sigh.

-j-

Archived