Electricity

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and all the technical blah-blah aside, that's ofcourse the point.

(however discussing tech thingies is the subject of this board, and it's still plain fun to do smile.gif" border="0 )

[Anyway, so far I have learned that all houses in the district are dispensed an electicity usage allowance of 5 amps (!). I guess that's OK when all you're running is a couple of flourescent lights, a fridge, TV and maybe an iron once in a while. ]

5 amps @ 220V would be equivalent to 10 amps @ 110V.

A normal household (western) seldomly uses more then 20 amps @ 220 at peaktime.

lessee:

TV (modern) about 100W (0.5A)

Lightbulb about 60W (0.25A)

Electric heater 1000W (5A) - You won't need this much smile.gif" border="0

Fluorescent light 25W (0.05A)

Only thing that might blow you away smile.gif" border="0 is the airconditioner unit.. don't have an estimate on that one, as here in the Netherlands we have more use for the electric heaters... Anyone out here that have some wattage for a large unit?

Hi!

db_sed_aloha

quote:

Watts = Volts x Amps

This formula is valid for DC (Direct Current) only. AC (alternating Current) slightly more complicated. To get the effect in Watts you have to multiply with "cos fi" witch is cosinus for the phase angle between Volts and Ampere (if I recall corectly).

Disclaimer: I studied EE in Swedish so may have used incorrect terms in English.

Xantor123

quote:

Anyone out here that have some wattage for a large unit?

Not really as in Swede we have about as much use for air cooling units as hell has for blast furnaces. frown.gif" border="0

I have however read that an average house in Tokyo uses as much power to cool their house as house of the corresponding size in Sweden uses to warm it up. Thats quite a few kW/year.

regards

ALHOLK

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: ALHOLK ]

Archived