Electricity

I want to take my video camera with me on my next trip to thailand and as the battery only lasts about 30 mins it needs to be recharged often so my question is what exactly do I need. I bought the camera in the states and I know the voltage and plugs are different in Thailand as compared with the states. So what exactly do I need? A voltage converter and what about the plugs?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

quote:

If you luck out, your hotel may offer both 110 & 220 juice [Grand President does -- shaver outlet in the bathroom].

Due to safety regulations outlets in bath rooms often have limit on the power output. This is true in Sweden and probably in most European countries. I don't know about Thailand though. If the outlet is limited and you connect some apparatus that required more power than the limit it will cut off the power. A battery charger that charges a battery fast will most likely require clearly more power than an average shaver.

As charging a battery in no way relies on frequency a converter should do the trick.

To avoid blowing up a converter just check how much juice your charger requires and then buy a converter that can deliver it. Of course Thailand being what it is the inside of a converter bought there might not conform to the label on the outside. smile.gif" border="0

regards

ALHOLK

P.S. The plugs to my knowledge are tha same as in north america. Most wall sockets will also accomodate tha europen type of plugs.

RipperJ81,

I have taken a inexpensive conveter (Radio Shack) with me. I have used it to recharged my digital camera batteries and to power my laptop and recharge. I feel safer using a converter than taken a chance on the 110 outlet in the bathroom for a shaver. Just make sure you get the converter used in Asia.

I'm going to be staying at a fairly cheap hotel in Pattaya so I'm sure that don't have anything special when it comes to the electricity. I'm sure whatever the Thai's use is what they have there. So can I buy a converter in Thailand or actually Pattaya and where would be a good place to get one there and how much should it cost?

Thanks

You probably don't need a convertor. Check the back of your charger it should indicate what input it accepts. It probably accepts 110-240 volts at 50/60 Hz. If so you don't need a convertor. Also, the straight rectangular pronged plugs work in Thailand. I've charged both my laptop and camera batteries without convertors. However, if they are 3 pronged plugs you will need a plug adaptor.

In Pattaya you might need a convertor for your electric shaver. The hotels I stayed at didn't have the 110/220 outlets in the bathroom. You can probably get a convertor at the Big C mall for around 150 Baht.

quote:

Originally posted by ALHOLK:

As charging a battery in no way relies on frequency a converter should do the trick.

No quite. There is probably a transformer in the charger. Transformers can not operate at lower frequency at rated capacity without failure. If the charger does not say 50hz on it, I wouldn't risk it. I once posted the science on this thread if interested. http://www.nanaplaza.com/~nanaplaza/cgi-b2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000286

You probably don't need a convertor. Check the back of your charger it should indicate what input it accepts. It probably accepts 110-240 volts at 50/60 Hz. If so you don't need a convertor. Also, the straight rectangular pronged plugs work in Thailand. I've charged both my laptop and camera batteries without convertors. However, if they are 3 pronged plugs you will need a plug adaptor.

Thanks Handyman you really are handy. Thats exactly what mine says and I also have a plug adaptor just in case. Now I just need to see about the battery for the digital camera I am going to borrow.

Hi!

rovineye

I just read your post on the other thread and it appears that you do know something on the subject. It's been 30+ years ago since I studied electrical engineering so I don't remember the formulas. I do however doubt that many transformers are made with such tight specs that a step down from 60 to 50 Hz would make it overheat. I also believe that you might agree that after the AC to DC conversion the frequency doesn't really matter. I suppose the charge time could be affected though.

regards

ALHOLK

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: ALHOLK ]

Archived