London angrit

kojis

that's the sweet one ya know... more "lovely" in a single sentence than you thought there would be on the whole planet... and that rather specific accent... basically I'm offering private english tuitions to my GF, intending her to communicate better with our english customers and perhaps move to London later. But we're mostly receiving offers from americans, including one she favours cos she's also chinese ethnic (very good academic creds also, Ivy league and now studying Science Po in Paris).

the question to all the experienced teacher on this board is: how much better would be an english national in that case? Can an american national be as useful?

ok, it's a very cosmopolitan city, but londoners share many particularisms, plus it's pretty obvious when you listen a british film it's not american. Asians working in London who aren't native speakers are usually easy to understand, but not that much locals

Guest lazyphil

sarf landan?.....hey we have what is known as 'cambridge cockney' accent here, when the first bombs hit london some londoners scarpered up ere' and stayed, so the accent lingers according to linguistic experts :confused:

I'm home counties 'BBC' Queens english...i think i sound quite public school educated, or so i'm told...'posh' others have said.

I think the American accent is easier for Thais to master, but the english is more sophisticated...except if it's a cockney, brummie, scouse, northern, west country, Irish, Scottish or Welsh accent, in which case it sounds awful as well.. :neener::neener::neener:

Having offended everyone in my native land (except those from 'Royal' Berkshire/Surrey) i shall now proceed to shut up.

Guest lazyphil

i picked up a hitch hiker at scotch corner coming back from visiting a friend in edinburgh, the hitch hiker was from glasgow and hand on heart i had not a clue what he was talking about, pulled in to fe fuel around doncaster and when he went to pee i drove off and left him, the reason i picked him up was to talk and help me stay awake driving but it had the opposite effect :crazy: .....i didn't trust or distrust him for not understanding him!

I quote the Sunday Herald of 11 Jan 2004.

"Psychological research shows the Scottish accent to be the most trusted in Britain, with Sir Sean Connery's accent voted the most trustworthy of all. The Scottish accent also ranks highly for its ability to give speakers the appearance of success and of having a good work ethic".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived