Siem Reap nighlife

noman

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 days in PP and 3 days in SR...unless you're really into touring the ruins for 2-3 days. Would especially recommend this if you're flying into/out of SR. Not much to do there and P4P is more limited and more expensive. (Read: "tourist trap"). Overall, not as much to do/see in Cambo as in Thailand/BKK.

HH

I went to SR a few months ago. Had wanted to go there for several years. I thought 1.5 days for touring the temples would be about right for me.

Actually I got enough of them in a half day. I enjoy learning about ancient civilizations and seeing the religious ruins, but they quickly all started to look alike. And the dust, hawkers and mass tourism (SR is Korean tour group central) were a putoff too.

The most enjoyable thing I did was hire a boat for a tour of the Tongle Sap and a fishing village. Any tour guide can take you there and I highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...
I went to SR a few months ago. Had wanted to go there for several years. I thought 1.5 days for touring the temples would be about right for me.

Actually I got enough of them in a half day. I enjoy learning about ancient civilizations and seeing the religious ruins, but they quickly all started to look alike. And the dust, hawkers and mass tourism (SR is Korean tour group central) were a putoff too.

The most enjoyable thing I did was hire a boat for a tour of the Tongle Sap and a fishing village. Any tour guide can take you there and I highly recommend it.

I'm thinking that a day and a half is just about right for me too. Is it reasonable to fly in first thing in the morning on the 8:00am flight, check into the hotel and see a good part of the ruins that day and the next before flying out the next night?

From what I gather, the airport is pretty close by. :dunno:

Also, what are RT tickets going for from BKK these days?

Not cheap!

About 11,500 baht for a RT ticket. (45 minute flight each way! Boo-hiss to Bangkok Airways!)

Airport about 15-20 minutes from town.

If you're not a "temple type" then a day at the ruins is enough for most.

However, Angkor Wat, while being the biggest and impressive in terms of scale, doesn't compare in atmosphere to Tha Phrom and Bayon. (Sorry if spelt wrong). These other 2 temples are must-sees. Allow half-a-day for each of these.

I loved these 2.

11,500 Baht! :yikes::yikes:

I assume they serve Vaseline or K-Y during the flight since they're fucking you so much :dunno:

Thanks for the tip on Tha Phrom and Bayon. At that price though I might see what other options I have as I was just looking to get out of LOS during Songkran weekend.

Yeah, Bangkok Airways has some kind of exclusivity deal on flights between Bangkok and Siem Reap and thus can get away with much higher fares than if they had competition. And since Angkor is now so popular with tourists, the flights are full regardless of the price. They do serve ice cream with breakfast though! :smirk:

I'd say you could do the one night thing if you are willing to pay the airfare, though expect hotel prices to be high too.

Your best option would be to hire a guide and driver in advance, which your hotel could help arrange. Have them pick you up at the airport, go to hotel to drop off your stuff and head to the temples. Sunset at some temples is a special time, so an afternoon visit through sunset would work great. The next morning you and your guide could do more temples, or (my suggestion) have him take you on a hired boat tour of the Tongle Sap fishing villages.

You probably could get the moto songtaew taxis to take you to the temples for less and do them without a hired guide, but I wouldn't recommend as the dusty roads and heat will be awful, and you won't have the benefit of a licensed guide who can explain everything. Also, after a few hours of temple touring and dirty air, the clean air conditioned hired Toyota Camry's are very comfy and a welcome relief.

Archived