Gladwrap

Julian2

Mother 'smothered our grandfather in Gladwrap'

By Edith Bevin

February 06, 2007 02:00am

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

A YOUNG woman yesterday told a court how she saw her mother kneeling on the "Gladwrapped" body of her grandfather, pushing a pillow into his face.

The evidence came during a coroner's inquest into the death of 70-year-old Ederino "Rino" Beltrame.

An emotional Romina Beltrame told Westmead Coroners Court in Sydney how she was woken by her mother Daniela Beltrame's cries about 1am on April 24, 2001. She said her mother asked for her help as she smothered the elderly man.

"I know my mum killed my grandfather. She suffocated him. I saw it," Ms Beltrame testified.

"I saw my mum on top of my grandfather. She was suffocating him with a pillow ... she had Gladwrapped him from his feet to his chest."

The 53-year-old mother yesterday ignored a police summons to appear at the inquest.

Police said they had been looking for her since she went to ground on January 30 after learning that her daughters would give evidence against her.

Her second daughter Loretta Appleyard also gave evidence yesterday - saying how her mother had told her to sign her name as a witness to a will allegedly drawn up by her grandfather leaving everything to her mother. That will was later proved to be a forgery, the court heard.

The daughters said they finally told the truth - six years later - because they did not want to perjure themselves in court.

Mrs Appleyard said she could not remember when her mother had told her to sign the will - but it was definitely after her grandfather's death and she had not actually witnessed her grandfather's signature.

Both daughters said their mother had used emotional blackmail and threats of violence to stop them from testifying against her.

The court heard police had originally not considered the death to be suspicious and so had not requested detectives and forensic staff to attend the house the day Mr Beltrame's body was found.

Mr Beltrame's doctor had supplied police with a death certificate citing heart issues as the cause of death.

The certificate was written at the surgery without the doctor seeing the body, Constable Kurt Gacki told the court.

Suspicions about Mr Beltrame's death were only raised when his daughter arranged a hasty cremation with no service and no other family or friends were informed.

The court heard Daniela Beltrame had also told her father's friends in the week after his death that he had gone on holidays.

She sold the Canley Vale house for $250,000 - well under its market value - and moved to Italy, returning in February last year.

Officer in charge of the case, Senior Constable Brendan Plummer, said a computer hard drive seized by police had revealed someone within the household had downloaded ways to murder without raising suspicion.

The inquest continues today.

Archived