PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience

limbo

Hi Guys,

Since this forum is not very active, I thought I'd revive it a bit, since I'm involved in Thailands dive industry.

I'll post information on a whole bunch of various dive courses, all of which you can conduct in Thailand, in places like Koh Samui, Koh Tao, Phuket, Pattaya, Krabi, Koh Lanta and plenty more.

If you have questions regarding these courses or locations for diving in Thailand or the SE Asian region, don't hesitate to ask in this forum. Besides me there are a few more members who are actually active in the local Thai dive industry and I'm sure one of us can help you out or steer you in the right direction. It's also possible to send me a PM.

First off, is some information on a so called introductionary experience or the Discover Scuba Diver. No certification is involved but it's a great way to get introduced into scuba diving;

DISCOVER SCUBA DIVING EXPERIENCE

If youâ??re looking for a convenient way to try scuba, look to a Discover Scuba Diving experience to broaden your horizons. You can jump into this program near home in a pool, or on vacation near open water.

Give it a try. Diving can change your life.

It's the worldâ??s most popular introduction to diving.

It's available in a pool, ocean, river, lake, quarry or almost anywhere thereâ??s water.

DSD skills may be credited toward the Scuba Diver or Open Water Diver certification

Average dive depth is 6 metres/20 feet (12 metres/40 feet is the maximum depth)

Most DSD experiences take just an hour or two

No equipment necessary â?? everythingâ??s provided except you supply the smiles

• 5 months later...

Hi World fun,

Koh Nang Yuan is indeed a snorkeles paradise, still, I would recommend taking a DSD experience there, since it's a different experience to see the fish and action underwater.

I started out myself as a snorkeler, before I started diving, but am glad that I took up diving!

If you have any questions regarding diving, ask them here or send me a PT.

• 2 weeks later...

Limbo:

Just curious what swimming skills you require before taking someone on a DSD dive?

I know that a lot of the swimming test requirements for certification have been decreased since I was certified back 30 odd years ago (e.g. ability to swim 300 meters, versus 1500 meters when I got certified ... probably overkill).

I am assuming (hoping) that some level of pool testing is done to weed out people that simply cannot swim well, as well as those that will freak out if their mask gets flooded.

Just wondering.

rchapstick,

For a DSD, no swimming skills are required.

For a Scuba Diver course one must be able to contain him/her self for at least 10 minutes in water too deep to stand in by either swimming or floating before Open Water dive #2. (only 2 Open Water dives involved in this rating, it's kind of a half the Open Water diver course).

For the Open Water diver course, the 10 minute float as described above in the Scuba diver prerequisite and on top of that either a 200 meter swim or a 300 meter snorkel swim, using fins, mask and snorkel only.

These are PADI requirements, by the way.

I did my Padi open water a couple of years ago. I was very nervous about the swim and treading water thing but as you can use fins it wasn't so bad. I'm a crap swimmer and it wasn't easy but I made it through, helped a lot by my instructor Mark, son of the legendary Oliver Reed :)

Having said that I wouldn't recommend too much boozing the night before a dive :(

Hi Stella,

Welcome to the board and nice to see that you're a diver.

Only the 300 meter swim is allowed with fins.

Alcohol is a definate 'no-no' before diving and is the cause of many 'DCS' (decompression sickness) related accidents.

Archived