Plane Crash Java

bust

Apparently lots of Aussie diplomats and journalists on the flight covering Foreign Minister Alexander Downer's visit.

Thoughts go out to all those who perished or are injured and their families.

Maybe this will be a kick-in-the-arse to Indonesian Aviation Authorities to get their act in gear, weed-out the corruption in the system, and do things properly.

Apparently in made several attempts to land so there was obvoiusly a problem. Seems though it didn't dump is fuel load which I understand is SOP in this situation. That would account for the severe fire. Was fully loaded as it what it's first flight for the day.

Hi Bust,

Would usually only dump fuel in 2 circumstances as far as I am aware:

1: If there as time.

2: To make the weight lighter for landing.

As the incident occured on landing, there probably wouldn't have been a need for fuel-dumping as the amount of fuel carried would have been reasonably small by this stage.

It will mostly only be done when trying to return to the departure airport.

Fuel dumping also takes time - and if this airliner was on final aproach when tradgedy struck, there would have been no time for this proceedure.

Fuel Dumping

I heard it was only a short flight which they don't need to refuel for the return leg. The guy I saw interviewed who was a passenger said they aborted the first landing attempt which would indicate a problem.

Archived