Very Scary Experience

Incubation period of HIV is 1 to 3 months, you cuold get a test after 3 months, don't wait 6 months.

On a positive note, i lived 6 months with a bg. When she wanted to work in my country after a six month stay she needed a work permit and health clearance. On her first day of arrival i asked my housedocter to have her checked-up. He definitely did not do what he had to and i fired him when we were informed she was HIV positive six months later.

I was scared to death the next 5 days waiting for my bloodtest results, which appeared to be negative. Almost unbeliavable, but it seams les obvious to contract HIV from a female than the other way round (close to 100%)

This scared my gf she returned home to live with her parents some months laters, I kept in touch, but one day she disappeared from home, never was able to locate her.

I suppose she died (was 1989 whwn she left me)

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

First, let me say that I am not a doctor, nor am I in the medical profession. My mother is a nurse, and some information below is from her. Most on the information comes from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, http://www.cdc.gov)

There are currently five known strains of the hepatitis virus: A, B, C, D, and E.

Hepatisis A: mainly transmitted through fecal-oral (shit to mouth) and contaminated food and water, it can also be transmitted through the blood. Says the CDC, "Depending on conditions, HAV can be stable in the environment for months. Heating foods at temperatures > 185 F (85 C) for 1 minute or disinfecting surfaces with a 1:100 dilution of sodium hypochloride (i.e., household bleach) in tap water is necessary to inactiveate HAV." Average incubation period of 28 days (range, 15-50 days). Vaccine is available.

Hepatitis B: transmitted through blood or other body fluids. Average incubation period is 2 months. 10% of those infected will develop chronic hepatisis B, and will be carriers of the virus for life. Vaccine is available.

Hepatitis C: transmitted through blood; needles, sex, sharing of toothbrushes and razors can all be transmission paths. 80% if those infected show no signs or symptoms. CDC does not say what the incubation period is. 70% to 80% of those infected will be carries of the virus for life. NO vaccine is available.

Hepatitis D: requires the hepatitis B virus (HBV) to reproduce. Incidence of HDV in South-east Asia is considered low. Not much other information on CDC web-site. NO vaccine is available.

Hepatitis E: is extremely uncommon in the U.S., with most reported cases coming from travelers. South-east Asia is one of the locations hepatitis E has be obversed. Primarily transmitted fecal-oral, low incidence of person-to-person transmission. Average incubation period is 40 days (range, 15-60 days). NO vaccine is available.

On HIV, testing for HIV (and most viruses) is done by looking for antibodies to the virus. With HIV, antibodies usually appear within 3 months, but it sometimes takes longer. Check with your doctor, but you may want to be tested at 3 and 6 months.

On the subject of vaccinations, my mother (as a nurse) has been vaccinated for both hepatitis B and for the measles. When she changed employers, she had titers performed to verify that the vaccinations were still effective. They were NOT. She showed no immunity to either HBV or measles.

Now, admittedly, this is a rare thing. Titers are not normally performed after a vaccination series because the vaccines are effective for most people. But there are people for whom the vaccinations do not protect.

If you've been in a high risk situation, such as having a wacko stick you with a pin/needle, consult your doctor as soon as possible. Again, CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR.

And don't be afraid to tell him/her the whole truth. It might be embarrasing, but it's better than being dead.

The risk rates assume the blood on the needles carries the virus.

(The rate for Hep B in the States is only about 5%, so no way it could be 20% for a random needle prick!)

quote:

Originally posted by boemba:

Originally posted by worldwalker:

The risk was about 0.5% for HIV, and about 20% for Hep B.

Just want a short clarification. Is that a risk of 0.5% when the needles had been in contact with a known HIV+? Or was if after any contact regardless of known HIV-status?

My friend who was in the bar with me might remember the name of the bar. When he gets back from Amsterdam I'm planning on asking him. I'll definately post here if I find out.

Archived