Traveler's checks or Cash?

mongatu

TT refers to the Telegraphic Transfer rate. Why they bother posting it at currency exchange booths.....??

If you are coming from Europe the absolute safest thing going is www.travelcash.ch

Of course, if someone gets your pin you are well and truly screwed with this as with any other card.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The results are in:

ATM withdrawl from my Bank of America (Visa) account today, at a Bangkok Bank ATM and got 35.29 Baht exchange rate.

At the Citibank ATM, inside the Citibank Bank in Bangkok using my Citibank account, they were giving me 32.9 Baht.

ATM withdrawl from my Citibank account, at Kasikorn Bank ATM in Bangkok, I got 34.65 Baht, which is a better rate then using the Citibank ATM inside the Citibank building! F#@%k Citibank!!!

Yesterday got 35.27 with BofA ATM at Bangkok Bank ATM. They then charged 5.00 Foreign ATM fee and another 1% currency exhange fee ($5.67). Net rate about 34.62, still better than offshore rate, but not by much.

TH

Being the wanker that I am...I bitched to Citibank and they removed some fees so that I ended up with a 34.65 exchange rate.

They e-mailed back about I have "Gold Accounts" but they are not really Gold Accounts but Blue and Gold Accounts....whatever, just give me better exchange rates!!!

With the Gold Account they charge 1% service fee or whatever they call it. With Blue Accounts they charge 3%.

It's been a couple of years now since BofA started this 5 buck fee and exchange fee. I went a long time only $2 for an ATM withdrawl. Has changed the way I get money to live. Luckly, housing allowance is in baht and company will deposit a set amount of baht from my salary at inter bank rate, otherwise I use SWIFT, at $50 bucks a pop, for big amounts. A good month is when I don't have to us BofA ATM card.

TH

• 3 weeks later...
The results are in:

ATM withdrawl from my Bank of America (Visa) account today, at a Bangkok Bank ATM and got 35.29 Baht exchange rate.

At the Citibank ATM, inside the Citibank Bank in Bangkok using my Citibank account, they were giving me 32.9 Baht.

ATM withdrawl from my Citibank account, at Kasikorn Bank ATM in Bangkok, I got 34.65 Baht, which is a better rate then using the Citibank ATM inside the Citibank building! F#@%k Citibank!!!

Are others experiencing the same results when withdrawing funds from their USA bank accouts using Thai ATM machines:

Onshore rate (higher) applied when using Visa branded ATM/debit cards;

Offshore rate (lower) applied when using Mastercard branded ATM/debit cards?

Archived