Garuda Staff In Firing Line

bust

As we are all aware of the safety procedures that get drummed into us every flight you will all be familiar with the "In the event of an emergency the aircrew will be the most helpful" or words to that effect. Anyway apparently the crew all bailed out before the passengers. Most of those who were in Business class perished because the crew didn't unlock the front escape hatches. They unlocked the ones over the wings and were the first ones out. This according to a interview from a survivor on the news.

I recall that when Garuda skidded off the runway at Fukuoka after an aborted takeoff, cabin crew were also accused of bailing out first. In fact, there was a video showing some of them being first off and running from the aircraft with their suitcases!

In this case, I think it's too early to say, based on just one traumatised passenger's recollection. The exit door from business class was apparently damaged. We already know that one of the six crew died in the forward cabin, presumably trying to help others, and other crew can be seen in a video assisting passengers away from the plane, then running back towards it to help others. Maybe, by the time the video was taken, their evacuation efforts were complete. :dunno:

I read somewhere that they were all senior cabin crew on this flight.

Reminds me of my favorite Garuda story. About 20 years ago, a friend was on a DC-10 from LA to Jakarta. On the Honolulu-Biak leg, some ice broke off from one of the lavs and punctured a hole in the fuselage near the tail which looked to be about the size of a sewer plate (he took photos, as it could easily be seen by all from the tarmac and the transit lounge).

They were expecting another aircraft to be flown in but, as the story goes, flight ops in Jakarta 'ordered' the aircraft to be patched up with speed tape and flown on the the next stop, Bali.

Before takeoff, my friend's sitting in an exit seat in coach, and a flight attendant in the jump seat across from him started crying. He asked her what was wrong and she said, "I don't care about my own life. I'm crying for all of you, because I don't want you to die!"

Instills confidence...

Archived