Nation editorial

Flashermac

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Chinese-Thais do not consider themselves Chinese. In fact, they consider themselves superior to the Chinese. But in effect it's a closed shop here. Almost all the top politicians are Chinese-Thais or at least part Chinese, and try to think of a millionaire who isn't Chinese-Thai. (There are some, but not many.) If you ask them in private, they will say the Thai-Thais are lazy! I've heard that from plenty of them.

When people complain about the government trying to keep out foreign competition, what they need to realise is that it's the Chinese-Thais trying to hold onto their current monopoly.

HT,

Although it's hard (or since recently, harder) to get in to Europe for Thai citizens, or Holland as an example, it is however a lot easier to receive all Dutch benefits once they're legal in the country, like citizenship, social welfare in many aspects, voting rights on regional or provincial level, etc.

Unfortunately it's not exclusive to Thailand currently to have a nationalistic move to the right, so to say, it's happening all over Europe as well.

As ND already pointed out, being a father of two Thai children, having worked here legally for a longer period of time, there should be some way that we should benefit from this or receive support from the Thai govnmt. Easing up on visa regulations for 'members' of this group could be a good start.

Guest lazyphil

HeartThais, can you help me brush up my skills then and point out where I fluffed up?

Flash, interesting what u say, the big boys i.e. the chinese looking after number 1 but disguising it a looking out for the Thai people, clever lot the chinkys, much more so than this buffalo limey :smirk:

Mac,

I don't disagree with anything you said.

Having direct experience some years ago with monopolies here would like to expand a bit.

Do you blame the Thai-Chinese or the govt employees?

Personally, I blame the govt more than the Teochew (or Chui Chow- ethnically from Swatow) tycoons.

When Teochew businessmen promise people in govt that X amount of money or X percentage of revenue from something will be available in a bank in Singapore, Hongkong, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, etc. it will be there.

They in no way started corruption but the monopoly they do hold now is in reliability of payment in corrupt deals.

I have a friend who taught 26 years at a "name" university, only to get dropped one month before he turned 60. Fortunately, he is a permanent resident and didn't have to scramble for a new visa. But if he hadn't been??? (He has a Thai wife and two grown children too.)

p.s. I believe this treatment is what Thais call GRENGJAI. :(

Archived