Nation editorial

Flashermac

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<

Not western but certainly had chinese colonizastiom, not gov/army backed like elsewhere, but why do thais forget to mention this when they ponder this pride....is it because other asians colonized los not the beasty white man from yurop?.....fark, its like me saying ohh i'm proud the uk wasn't colonized by asians (some say it has been mind u!) but the french creeped in but thats ok they're europeans, get my long winded point? :crazy:

<>

You sound more like an anarchist!

Actually, I am that too. More specifically, I believe in anarcho-syndicalism.

But I'm not a radical. I believe in slow change. I think well-functioning anarchy is the eventual outcome of people thinking for themselves and refusing to let other people rule over them through force. I think that the idea that people can't work things out without centralized leadership and military intervention is a myth created by a small group of people to justify their theft of public goods and subjugation of people. You need a military to steal things and force people to do things. You don't need a military if you function by true consensus.

But that's neither here nor there. If you'd like to learn more.

http://anarchosyndicalism.net/

<

Not western but certainly had chinese colonizastiom, not gov/army backed like elsewhere, but why do thais forget to mention this when they ponder this pride....is it because other asians colonized los not the beasty white man from yurop?.....fark, its like me saying ohh i'm proud the uk wasn't colonized by asians (some say it has been mind u!) but the french creeped in but thats ok they're europeans, get my long winded point? :crazy:

I don't have a lot of in-depth knowledge about Thai history. How can you establish a colony without having control over their government or their military? If they come from somewhere but are subject to Thai government rather than the government of their native country, wouldn't they be considered immigrants and not colonists?

Guest lazyphil

immigrants?....they were economic refugees were they not?... came on a bit since then, not knocking them, but thais seem to conveniently forget this, a group of dirt poor refugees/immigrants now have a vast share in thai land/property and commerce.

Sorry HT, but I think as a father of 2 Thai children and employer of 8 thais, I DO get to have a say in how this country is run, doubt many will listen, doubt any will change, but at least I will have my say.

You can say anything you want. This is about what is or isn't appropriate. Unfortunately, that's not for you to decide. I don't know what citizenship laws in Thailand are. I would have thought with your marriage and business, you would be considered a Thai citizen and no longer considered a foreigner. But if Thai law is that if you aren't born in the country, you will never be a Thai citizen with full rights, that's just the way it is. If you aren't a citizen, you are a guest.

I don't know what the law is. If you are a Thai citizen, I support your right to say anything within what's allowed by Thai law and think your voice should have as much weight as any Thai. If you aren't, I don't think it is appropriate for you to say whatever you want just because you think you've earned that right based on the wonderful things you've done for Thailand.

Hi,

"How can you establish a colony without having control over their government or their military?"

I think what is being referred to is that pretty much all of the people in power in this country are Chinese-Thai. So, in effect the Chinese run / control the country.

Sanuk!

Archived