Soi 33 update, anyone???

follies

I'm heading back to Thailand in a couple of weeks - wonder if anyone could give me a quick update on the status of Soi33.

This used to be one of my favorite spots to at least start the evening, although we always seemed to restrict our activities to a small # of the bars.

How are things now, in the "quiet season"? I assume that Christies is open again by now? Are any of the "new bars" any good. Hopefully, Renoir is still going strong....

...feedback appreciated

quote:

Originally posted by Stickman:

Quite a few new bars down there have opened in the last month...

Stick

This is somthing of an understatement. So many new bars have opened that they have run out of French painters. Mondrien is the latest to open, also that well known painter Big Shot ? Quality seems to be about the same.

Follies,

Purely in the name of research and to help out a fellow board member I made a quick tour of Soi 33 last night

Yes the new Christies is open I was last there during its soft opening and posted here on the board.

Very expensive. Klosters and 1 LD in 'Happy hour" 275BT.(Klosters in Dali also happy hour 80bt)

Ladies all new to Christies no leftovers from previous incarnation, many appear new to the scene. As regards looks same as in every bar, a good mixture. The young lady who sat next to me was quite pretty and with excellent english- good company .You can tell that the bar is trying to move upmarket as in addition to the usual popcorn they now offer the customer a small plate of canapes

Not too many customers. Just one client as I walked in and during the hour I stayed 2 small groups walked in one of three staying the other turning around and leaving

Last night was also the official opening of Wall Street, they were offering free beer and food Thus it was packed, very smoky. The young lady who sidled up to me informed me that the owner got the idea for the bars name from yes you guessed it a bar by the same name in KL which had a large number of customers when visited.

Yes if you get the name of the bar right riches can be yours.

Napoleon was also quite full as it was party night.

Elsewhere most of the others were occupied by one or two customers. Typical night to me.

Down the side Soi next to Wall Street are the other new bars -- Big Shots, Blu BBQ and Mondrian. The latter 2 seemed very quiet and i did not go in. It is easy to walk along Soi 33 and miss those bars.

Certainly there is plenty of choice in the Soi How they will all survive is beyond me.

Unless they all start to charge Christies prices

Wall st, Free Beer and free food !! amazing how that attracted the Nanaplaza gang, good looking chicks tho', but I think a bit too expensive for me. There must have been something better going somewhere else, I mean Free booze/food and and Stickman only stayed for 30 mins before heading off somewhere else??

Originally posted by worldcup2002:

"Is it true that "The Rolf Harris Bar" is opening soon."

Must be a gay bar. Pairs of naked, skinny Thai wimps riding garishly painted wooden horses, on a revolving stage under violet lights .... urghhhh.

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Scum

That's twice you've knocked that great Australian/British institution; Rolf Harris.

Did you have a bad experience to the strains of a wobble board or a digeridoo sometime in the dark distant past?

quote:

Originally posted by follies:

Phiketpete,

Thanks for the info, glad I could inspire you into a little research.

I'll be in LOS July 25-Aug, would be happy to help you in your continuing research & buy you a beer for your troubles.....follies

Follies. How could I refuse?

Give me ashout when you get here and we will have a beer or two one night.

Archived