Shipping by train?

rickfarang

I have booked Air Asia to fly from Bangkok to Udon Thani, but their checked baggage allowance is 15 kg. I expect to have about 45 kg of excess stuff, and they change 160 baht per excess kilogram - wow, that's 7,000 baht. It occurred to me that the least expensive way to do this is by train.

Does anybody have any idea as to how difficult it would be to ship this stuff from hualampong to Udon? Any idea about the rates? Indeed, do they accept freight that is not accompanied by a passenger? Riding the train is with the luggage is not an option since this will be at the start of Song Kran (great planning, I know.)

Any other ideas? No, hiring a buffalo would not do it :grin:

Following up on Pom Michael's suggestion, I contacted Thai Airways. BKK to Udon, they charge 16 baht per kilogram, plus some sort of "terminal charge" of about 100 baht.

To answer Julian2's question, I quote from Thai Airways' email:

"Hence ,please go to Doungmuang Inter Airport at Domestic cargo Terminal (beside domestic passenger Terminal) for your cargo to Udon thani"

Thank you for helping me sort this out. It sounds like air cargo is the way to go.

Archived