10-year-old 'allowed to drive locally'

limbo

Looks like the old hardwood deck with the solid asbestos wheels. I remember you could adjust the stiffness of the trucks with a coin.

I remember that, but we always called them clay wheels. Broke two of my wrists at once because of them, just because of a simple crack in the sidewalk while being pulled on a leash by my neighbor's golden retriever while he was leading the dog with a raw steak. :D

When the Cadillac wheels first came out, we just put them on whatever boards we had at the time, just hardwood shit that we made in our garages. The ones I made looked more like surfboards I'd like to have rather than functional skateboards. The vice principal at Paul Revere Junior High School (where some of the footage near the end of the vid was taken) confiscated one from me, then spanked my ass with a paddle-tennis board. It took me a month to get the board back, when some friends caught his idiot son riding it and took it back. :grin:

It wasn't like I could just go out and make a new skateboard every day, and buy new trucks and wheels, it was a big deal, moneywise.

Guys like Tony Alva and Jay Adams started shredding those places once the new wheels came out. They were really good - so good that we'd just kick back and watch those guys.

But the originals were the guys in the video - they were even skating pools at the time, but they couldn't get as radical - they just didn't have the wheels! 1962!!!

Hi,

So, basically the cops are saying that it is okay to break the law if you are a 'good kid'?

:confused:

Sanuk!

Fully with you on this one KS, this phrase really baffled me.

I learned to drive at around 16 or 17, though the legal age in Hilland is and was 18.

Bikes in Thailand, I cringe every time when I see 12 and/or 13 year olds drive on a bike. My wife's (big) family had a few young kids die that way, but the parents will never see at their fault, it's Buddha's will..........go figure.

The underlying problem is that it is condoned and not punished which against the law. Whilst I do ask for some leniancy for things like using a back street as a toilet late at night, if basic laws are not enforced tehn we end up with another generation who think they have no reason to comply and thus the situation perpetuates itself.

The policeman who made that comment should be reprimanded or sacked.

Archived