10-year-old 'allowed to drive locally'

limbo

10-year-old 'allowed to drive locally'

A 10-year-old boy is spending his school holidays helping his family's business by delivering food to customers in the Northeast town of Nakhon Ratchasima - by van.

Police said it should be "all right" if the boy drove "around his own neighbourhood", but main roads were definitely off limits.

Satang Semamon, a fourth-grader at Anubal Nakhon Ratchasima School, has been driving a small Suzuki van to help deliver food and sweets to local grocery shops and neighbours every morning. He also helps his food vendor parents by driving the van to deliver food at Suranaree School, under his 41-year-old father's guidance - each morning during school time.

Satang said he was taught to drive by his father when he was nine.

The boy also urged other kids to help their parents whenever they were free and not to waste their time on "vices" such as "drugs or computer games".

His father, Suthep, said he taught the boy to drive upon his son's request. He thought it was a good idea for the boy to learn the traffic laws early.

However, Suthep said he did not allow his son to drive alone or for a long distance because he was not big enough and had no driver's licence yet.

He praised his boy for being a "good, diligent, and economic kid".

Muang Nakhon Ratchasima deputy commander Pol Lt Col Prasit Premkamol said allowing children aged 10 years old to get behind a wheel was illegal, according to traffic laws.

However, this was a case of a "good kid" helping his parents and the boy only drove around his neighbourhood. Thus, permission could be granted, the officer said, adding that Satang must not be allowed on main roads with heavy traffic or to drive long distances.

The Nation 28/03/07

Nakhon Ratchasima

I think that's the best age to teach kids how to drive. I learnt when I was abou 8 or 9 and drove often on roads in the national park or in large parking areas. Was probably compitent enough to drive in traffic when I was 12. Maybe that's why I was never a speeding lunatic at 17 when I got my license. I had about 8 years experience before I ever got out on the road and understood the responsibility of getting behind the wheel. Maybe that's why young kids cut loose when they first get their license. Something new and at the prime of their hormones running wild.

They have laws on the roads in LOS :yikes: I hadn't noticed. I do remember getting a ticket once on Don Muang freeway but put that down to the police suplementing their income and had nothing to do with the speed limit.

Any time you see a child of say 12 or 13 riding along on a motorcycle, he is breaking the law. The cops just don't care to do anything about it.

But how tall is a 10 year old Thai kid in the 4th grade? Can he see over the dashboard?

And WTF does this mean: Anubal Nakhon Ratchasima School. Anuban is a nursery school/kindergarten!

Hey Frash,

Like Bust, I was taught to drive at an early age, by one of my dad's friends who had a TR-7, at parking lots (schools) and even Yosemite National Park.

I came across this classic video the other day which features some of the places where I learned to drive and went to school. It's more your era though (I was like 10 years behind) but I'm almost certain that the kid with the cone on his head was my friend's older brother and the MILF was their mom.

It was filmed in 1962. Hope it brings back memories!

Hobie Skate Team and others

I learned to drive a farm tractor when I was 11.

Tractor :)

Looks like the old hardwood deck with the solid asbestos wheels. I remember you could adjust the stiffness of the trucks with a coin. I still to this day have my original BAHNE flexi-deck with the polyurythene wheels.

Archived